My nikkor 20mm f/2.8 D, A worrysome Issue.

PachalT

Recently, while taking my new camera out for a spin, I attached my 20mm lens and started snapping away. When reviewing the photos on my, much bigger than my previous cameras, LCD display I noticed some blurring in certain areas of the image.

This lens was handed down from my father and it did sit inside his camera bag without a lens cap for a while which caused some noticeable scuff marks when you stick your face right up to the thing. Unfortunately most of the prominent scuff marks are situated right near the center (coincidentally the blurring appears in the center of the image) of the lens, It's not so bad that I could take a picture of it. The rear lens element is gorgeously clean though.

I did try giving it a gentle clean but it still won't let up the blurry lameness. <---Real word

PachalT

Yeah it only shows up on this lens so that is sad news. I'm guessing the repair cost would be pretty high?

Last edited:

PachalT

No actually the two photos above are shot at f22 only because that's when the blurred sections are most noticeable. They show up less and eventually disappear the farther away from f22 you get.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Sorry to hear about that. The Nikon 20mm f2.8D is a nice lens especially for landscape but it doesn't do you any good since the images looked like you applied some vaseline around the center.

480sparky

No actually the two photos above are shot at f22 only because that's when the blurred sections are most noticeable. They show up less and eventually disappear the farther away from f22 you get.

Most likely that's because it's a function of Depth of Field.

Try this: If your camera has live view, turn it on when the lens is set for f/22. Then unlock the lens and turn it as you would to remove it, but only turn it. Watch the monitor on the back. If the blurring turns with the lens, then it's the lens.

aroy

There are two possibilities
1. Scruff marks that are the centre of the lense may me some material that has transferred itself from the lens/camera case. Try cleaning the lense with wet cleaners. If the scruff marks go you are in luck. If the scruff marks are scratches then you are out of luck.

2. Fungus in the lens. In this case you can do nothing.

Any way get an estimate from the Nikon before taking any other action.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
PachalT, as Don said, it is at least worth a call to get a ballpark figure if the front element needs to be replaced. Just last week I sent my 20mm lens to Nikon for what I believe are stuck aperture blades. They said it might be between $44-$199 but they wouldn't know for sure until they have the lens in hand. So I asked if there was a cost for an estimate--no, I pay the shipping to get it to them, and they pay the return shipping whether or not I decide to have it repaired. I questioned that comment because I thought for sure I'd be paying shipping both ways (unless she presumed the lens was under warranty which it isn't). Since you aren't here in the US, you should check to see how your Nikon service works.

A good used replacement 20mm lens in the US runs @ $399 (new runs even more). You might want to check out the average used price for a decent used replacement and compare it to what it might cost to get the lens repaired. Since the lens belonged to your father and has meaning for you that any other lens may not have, I hope you would at least check with Nikon on this. :)

Last edited: