35mm + D7000 equivalent for D800?

Nikonista

Hello everybody!

I'm pretty new to this forum. Been a member for a couple of months now but didn't really post. I come here almost every single day to read the new posts. I am amazed at how much information I can get here and everybody seems so nice!

That being said, I now have a question myself... I did a lot of research but didn't find a specific answer to my question although the subject has been discussed multiple times. Please be kind, hahaha.

I switched from a D7000 to a D800 recently and one of my favorite walk-around lens on the D7000 was the 35mm 1.8. I understand the 1.5 crop factor of an FX lens on a DX body but my question is, if I want the same field of view I had with the D7000 + 35mm 1.8 combo, which lens should I get for the D800.

Thank you very much for you precious help, you guys are awesome :)

Somersetscott

from D7000 to D800.. nice!! I am jealous.. I would love to move into full frame, D600 or D800 is a dream for me though :(

50mm is what I have heard also.

aroy

The direct equivalent is 50mm. That said there is quite a large choice in the 50mm new lens.
. 50mm 1.8G
. 50mm 1.8d
. 50mm 1.4g
. 50mm 1.4d
. 50mm 1.2AIS
If you do not need AF the f1.2 is a dream lens. The 1.8d is the least expensive.

My personal preference is the f1.2 Manual focus (it is also the most expensive), a stellar low light performer and one of the sharpest at f4 onwards.

JDFlood

Yes. 50mm is the equivalent. But consider sticking with the 35mm. I found the 35 to be my best general purpose lens for most things. I now have a35mm f1.4 attached to my D800 most of the time. Bette depth of field, you get a little closer for shots, feels more dynamic. Sure works for meanyway. JD