how and why lock up your mirror?

patrick in memphis

hi everyone,sometimes when doing late night shooting some people say that the lock up their mirror to keep from having mirror flop?i sometimes shoot with camera and others i connect into my telescope.but i dont think that i have had that problem so question one how do you know if you have mirror flop?(lol)and question two i have a d3100 how do you use that function???

Mfrankfort

If you use longer shutter speeds for whatever reason, even with a tripod, the mirror flipping up and down can cause some movement and blur. I've seen a lot of people use live view (since it flips the mirror up already) to eliminate this. Once you compose and focus everything, people switch to manual focus, and live view to flip the mirror up, and then shoot with a remote... so basically nothing is moving.

Moab Man

I shoot a lot of night photography and it makes a difference.

On your camera you do not have a specific mirror up function for picture taking. The work around is the live view mode. Once the mirror is, live view, give it a couple seconds and then trigger the shutter.

The mirror "flop" is reference to the normal movement of the mirror coming up and causing vibration.

Last edited:

FastGlass

My camera (D3s) has a mirror up function. It also has exposure delay which flips the mirror up and waits a few seconds to take the shot.

patrick in memphis

jump on a plane you can use mine george (203x2032mm)...lol also i wasnt aware that the delay function locked it up.currently i'm working on imaging the andromeda galaxy. there are so may things out there to image....theres always a new challenge