Sunset

pambonello

Sunset at Popeye's Village (Malta) taken with a Nikon D3200 - f/6.3, 1/10 s, ISO 100

I love sunsets and always look to photograph it wherever I go. This is yesterday's sunset taken in Malta. What should I look for when taking sunset images and how can I improve on this?

DSC_0067.jpg

Last edited:

Hminx

Your title says " Sunset " but the main point of interest seems to be the boats, these vie for your attention and make the composition a little messy. The elements are positioned in the image extremes with other odd bits coming into view from the sides. The colours are nice and the exposure is ok but your composition needs a little thought . Perhaps a lower shooting angle if possible.

Lee532

I am still pretty new to this photography lark myself but I am an absolute sucker for a sunset or sunrise photograph.
I was told to get the best out of this type of shot you need to under expose the image to get the colour in the sky and then you can bring up the exposure of the foreground in your editing software. Heres a couple of recent examples of sunrises but work the same with a sunset as well.

Under exposed foreground

Sunrise New Holland 4 by Lee532, on Flickr

After editing in Lightroom to bring out the foreground

Fire in the sky 3 by Lee532, on Flickr

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Sunset at Popeye's Village (Malta) taken with a Nikon D3200 - f/6.3, 1/10 s, ISO 100

I love sunsets and always look to photograph it wherever I go. This is yesterday's sunset taken in Malta. What should I look for when taking sunset images and how can I improve on this?

View attachment 51291

Well, I think your shot is nice but just a little overexposed. With just a little more than 2 minutes of post processing, here's what I got:

DSC_0067 copy.jpg

dramtastic

Agree on the overexposure. Your shutter speed seems unnecessarily slow for this type of shot unless you meant 1/100s. As for the composure, that's mostly personal.