Will my Yongnuo Speedlite YN460-11 damage my Nikon D7100

JCADV

Hi everyone John here (newbie) I have just bought a Nikon D7100 today and I have a Yongnuo Speedlite YN460-11 which i have used on a Nikon d3100 and a Nikon D60.
The Nikon D3100's built in flash died I took the camera in for repair. The camera tech pulled the camera apart and said it looked liked the camera had been dropped and was gunna cost $AUS $375 to fixed.
I did not get it fixed as I thought the cost was too much and the camera worked fine with the Speedlite attached.

I then questioned myself thinking maybe the speedlite had caused the damage. Any clues??

I would like to use the speedlite on my D7100 when i need too but if it could cause damage to it then I won't. Can anyone give me a heads up if the speedlite will be ok to use with the D7100?

Cheers
John

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Welcome to the site! I don't see why it would damage your camera. The only communication the camera has with the flash is to tell it to trigger, nothing else. The flash has its own power

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Some of the early Nikon SB28 flashes had problems and were repaired under warranty. My first SB28 caused electrical problems in my N70--the camera would take photos by itself when the lens cap was on. And I always turned the camera off when not in use so I never knew when the photos were taken. At that point, the flash didn't even have to be mounted on the camera. It caused some type of electrical problem with the N70. Nikon repaired both the flash and the camera. They replaced the entire top with the electronics on my N70, and I never experienced any further problems with either piece of equipment.

Since your tech said it looked like your camera was dropped, that indicates some type of physical damage. An electrical short most likely wouldn't produce that type of physical damage--a few blackened spots perhaps, but that isn't the same as physical damage from a fall or heavy bump. You could ask your tech just to be sure.