lens flare

RJBarwick

first time by the ocean with my D90. took some images last night right before sunset. tried to play with exposure comp to achieve a nice soft image into the sunset on the beach without losing detail and found a bit more flare than I expected. I tried several different fstops and shutter speeds. Can someone with some experience at the ocean please give me some ideas about camera settings to achieve some nice oceanfront sunset images. I have available = my kit lens 18-105, a 1.4 50, a 20. 60 macro. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

markD90

i use a polarizer and cokin nd filtres to get the coloured effects and in your menu you can change the saturation and sharpness settings! i use the landscape setting and change the settings under it to get the desired effect

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Bautsch

Unfortunately lens flare is something you just have to deal with regardless of the filters you use. I shoot sun sets and sun rises often and even using ND and CPL filters I can still get flaring. Flaring is mostly the result of unwanted light reflecting off the surface of the glass elements that make up the lens. A good lens hood does as much good at stoping lens fare as anything else except when shooting a sun set or sun rise. The lens hood does no good at all when shooting directly into the light source. Lens flare is a major reason the manufacturers put coatings on the lens elements. These coatings do a great job but obviously can't get rid of all the flare.

Joseph Bautsch

Yea, I unfortunately have a collection of shots of thumbs, fingers, finger nails, and an assortment of hat parts.

What do you do about flair created by using the uncoated graduated filters like Cokin?