Question #3 - overexposure

fhibbs12

Boy I'm on a roll today.

I was testing my sigma 35 1.4 today and everything appeared to be overexposing. Kinda of upset.... This is my second one. It seemed like -1 in exposure compensation fixed it perfectly.

I then threw on my 85 1.8g. Same thing. I've never notised it before but I typically tweak exposure in Lr and never went looking for a problem.

Is it worth the trip to Nikon to have it checked or would shooting at -.7 to -1 be fine?

WhiteLight

What settings are you shooting at? and what are you shotting?
Manual? Auto?
How about metering?
​Some pics with EXIF would help

fhibbs12

Single point/spot metering

No difference between that or single point matrix.

Full manual and a mode.

Both need roughly -.7 to -1. Extremely noticable when in direct sunlight. It shows perfect exposure in camera meter without the -1 but is definitely over.

U will get samples up after work

BackdoorArts

If it's bothering you then it's worth getting it checked. You can always adjust in LR/PS if you don't like setting Exposure Compensation on the camera, but you do risk blowing things out.

Just curious, but are you judging by your own eye or what these programs might be telling you afterward? I get inconsistent exposure in direct sunlight with mine, but that depends far more on the subject than anything I would call "consistent under/over exposure". I'm an obsessive tweaker, so I'm used to playing with the exposure on everything in Camera RAW. But I would agree that constant overexposure to that degree would bother me.

Is it only in direct sunlight?

Spot metering is all going to depend on the spot. Have you tried any other metering g mode other than spot ? That is the first thing you should do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Mfrankfort

Are you using a flash at all ? I've heard some things about changing metering mode when using flash. I'm guessing not.. but might be metering mode... Try a factory reset, something might have gotten adjusted without you knowing.

aroy

By the way in case you are metering a darker spot (say a person or a tree) and there is bright sunlight (or clear sky) in your shot, it will be over exposed. Use matrix or average metering mode in such cases.

Have you checked the Histogram? That is the only sure shot method of knowing whether you have over exposed or not.

In case the Histogram is fine, then you have to adjust the Raw Processor software.

If the histogram shows over exposure then either get the metering checked by Nikon or else live with exposure compensation.