Stag Beetle

WeeHector

This photo would probably never been posted here had a friend, a keen photographer, not returned from a 3 1/2 month trip on his boat (he left the day my camera arrived). I spent yesterday (Sunday) morning and afternoon looking through the 4000 photos I've since taken to find a selection to show him. This was a shot I had dismissed until now due to the circumstances involved.

I had received my 70-300 the day before and wanted to try it out, so left my 18-55 at home. Around noon, in brilliant sunshine and on a white boat, I discovered this little creature. With a glaring background, it wasn't easy to get a shot that wasn't just black and the beetle kept moving towards the camera making it difficult to focus. To make matters worse, I had just started using AP and my settings were all over the place. You can imagine why I let this shoot slip into oblivion.

This shot turned out better than I deserved and I would love to have your comments and criticisms. The camera settings are mind-boggling but prove that, even when you get things totally wrong, there may be something you can recover.

Stagbeetle 1a.jpg
D3100, Sigma 70-300 at 170mm
f/5.6, 1/4000th sec, ISO 800 :cower:

Last edited:

slowpoke

Nice shot.Maybe get a bigger boat to carry more of your lenses.lol You have to do some seemly weird things to get that special shot.Just remember to have fun.