Road trip + Photoshop

mikeh32217

I just purchased CS6, yeah I know I wasn't going to but since it's the last of the ownable versions I decided I had better snag it because I ain't renting.
Anyway about 3 years ago I spent 2-1/2 months traveling the US with my brother-in-law in his semi and took ~6K pictures and have been going over them and reworking some of the more worthy ones and this one is one of the first that came up.
We stopped for fuel in Weed,CA and I saw Mt. Shasta off in the distance and I scampered around to find a good shot and walked quite a ways off the beaten track before I got a view without power lines etc..

Shasta.jpg

kklor

I dragged my feet a bit but caved before I knew what the plan was and I three am glad I did. I am sure that we can probably all live happily ever after with CS6.

I've downloaded the trial version and am kicking the tires, looks like a good set of tools but might have to wait for finances to catch up to my lifestyle. :)

Do you by any chance have a student or teacher in the family? If so you can get the education discount. That saves you a bundle. My wife is a teacher and I always use her to by software.

Adobe Photoshop Extended CS6 for Windows 65171324 B&H Photo 349.95

Which is a lot better than the full price of $865.00

mikeh32217

Do you by any chance have a student or teacher in the family? If so you can get the education discount. That saves you a bundle. My wife is a teacher and I always use her to by software.

Adobe Photoshop Extended CS6 for Windows 65171324 B&H Photo 349.95

Which is a lot better than the full price of $865.00

My son is going to finish his degree but is in the military and not sure when he will be able to and his wife just finished her Associates degree a while back so not so lucky. I didn't get extended version and found it for $595!

My son is going to finish his degree but is in the military and not sure when he will be able to and his wife just finished her Associates degree a while back so not so lucky. I didn't get extended version and found it for $595!

My son spent 6 years in the Army and as soon as he got out he went back to school and is finishing up his degree at The University of Alabama. Between the GI Bill and his part time job with the VA campus office I don't have to pitch in to much to get him through school.

mikeh32217

Good for him take advantage of the GI bill he earned it.

My son is in the USMC (as was I) and he almost got his Associates before going in but there just we're any jobs and he didn't want to rack up a huge college expense so he enlisted. He's been in a little over 1-1/2 years and just made E-4 and bought his first home here in Beaufort and Dad's job has been to restore it for them. It's not done but what I've done has made a big difference.

kklor

My son just finished his Phd this Spring and he helped push me to update again while he had the ID to do so. The discount was helpful but now I have a 27 year old "kid" living at home and I'm too old to be a full time parent anymore. It cuts into my photography time! I upgraded my LR from 3 to 4 at the same time and within 2 months LR5 hit! I think I liked LR3 better than LR4 so far. I probably will get Nik suite before I give Adobe any more money! Software companies are really good at tapping your budget yearly! My son is a music composer and that has the same ills of photography with 2 companies Finale who always updated yearly and Sibelius which has decided why not get more money yearly! :sour: Kathleen

mikeh32217

My son just finished his Phd this Spring and he helped push me to update again while he had the ID to do so. The discount was helpful but now I have a 27 year old "kid" living at home and I'm too old to be a full time parent anymore. It cuts into my photography time! I upgraded my LR from 3 to 4 at the same time and within 2 months LR5 hit! I think I liked LR3 better than LR4 so far. I probably will get Nik suite before I give Adobe any more money! Software companies are really good at tapping your budget yearly! My son is a music composer and that has the same ills of photography with 2 companies Finale who always updated yearly and Sibelius which has decided why not get more money yearly! :sour: Kathleen

I have kinda the opposite problem, I lived on my own for many years in FL and when my son bought his house in SC he didn't have any construction skills and I've done it off and on all my life so I volunteered to move in and do all the remodeling in exchange for 3 hots and a cot. They had very little furniture so I donated all that I had which filled the house and made it look like a home. Remodeling will be done soon and cooler weather is approaching and I'm an avid backpacker, camper and such so I've been trying to volunteer at local, state, national parks so I can get away to myself and enjoy nature while I still can. Would love to get up into your neck of the woods, really loved Oregon when I was there a couple of years ago. Didn't get to actually spend time there but looks like it would be a paradise to an outdoor person like me and of course I would have to record it with my trusty D7000. :)

kklor

Mike-
You have done a wonderful trade for your son and he can probably sleep better knowing that you did all the work on his house as there are a lot of less qualified people in the trade doing poor work. I grew up in Annapolis MD and spent most Summers in Savannah and trips to Florida and SC. so I have "heart-strings" on the Eastern seaboard still. Yes, Oregon would be a great place for you to explore with your Nikon and hike. It is a gorgeous and varied state from the high desert, Cascades which is part of the Rockies, and even the "Coast" as it is called here is vastly different and scenic. The water is never tolerable in temps. so I guess that is why they never say beach around here. Oregon has a very short and not worthy of traveling across country for Fall. It rains 9 months of the year starting in Sept. and where it doesn't rain it snows and they close trails, passes etc. and my all time favorite black ice. I wanted to go to Crater Lake National Pk. in July but it was snowing/ice again and since then it has been engulfed in smoke from forest fires. (The dry 3 months mixed with lightening season for some areas of state.) I may try again the first two weeks in Oct. and then it closes until late June/July again! So my advice for you is to catch Oregon in late May for an extended trip, or right now for a shorter trip. The good thing is we don't have any hurricane/tornado seasons! You will have to let me know if you are headed this way and I can give you heads up on weather patterns and the must see spots etc. I am currently nestled in the "wine country" in the Willamette valley that runs through the center of the state between the Cascade range and the Coast range (with is more like Appalachians). I have good access in an hr. the coast, easy hiking and camping in Coast range and 1hr. or bit more to Columbia River Gorge and 2 hrs. to Mt. Hood which hikers and skiers adore. We are kicking around the idea to move to the high-desert area of Bend when we get the "prodigal son" settled, lol. If by chance he gets a good teaching job in Portland metro area then we could sell him this house and have both sides covered, lol. Kathleen :)

mikeh32217

Kathleen,
Thanks they do appreciate what I'm doing or I wouldn't be here. They're good kids with a bright future and I want to help as much as I can.
In fact he just got promoted yesterday to Corporal (E4), I'm so proud.
I was thinking of a spring trip as I've got a few things lined up for this fall here, some extended hikes and some volunteer work at the local state park.
We'll see what happens I want to start volunteering at National Parks also to see where that leads, since I'm retired I've got plenty of time and so
far still got a little energy and want to do what I can while I can.
I've been watching fires looks terrible and a lot of forest burned, I'm sad would have liked to see it before this happened but not to be.
Mike

kklor

Mike-
Congrats to your son! Yes, Spring would be my answer for your travels so that you can get the most out of it. We only have one National Park in our state and it does not open until mid June at the earliest and often times later depending on the snow pack from the following year and closes anytime from late Sept. to Oct.15 depending on incoming snow. Crater Lake usually hires for the season although sometimes the last couple of weeks may be an option as many college students start school here the 3rd week in Sept. My good son news of the day is that the college has offered him at least part time job for the entire school year so I will have a couple of quiet days per week. I think I would love to work at the NP's as well because you get to soak in the park all around the clock. In college my husband worked for the Forest Service and loved the time he did. I have not seen how much damage and how close to the forest Crater Lake sustained but Yosemite is in a world of hurt and I have experienced the aftermath with Yellowstone and it broke my heart but in time it does grow back. Hoping to head that way and into the Cascade Lakes region in a month, weather permitting. These areas are all under severe thunder/lightening storms for the next 4 days and I am praying that it comes with enough rain to put out any starts that might occur. It has been a super dry and hotter than normal Summer so everywhere is under red alert. Hope you find someplace really fun to explore soon as the park systems get to run more of a year around schedule on your side of the US. Cheers- Kathleen

mikeh32217

Kathleen,

Your husband is a lucky man would give my right arm to work for the forestry dept. or Nat. Parks. I am a member of the Florida Trail Association though and have helped maintain the Florida Scenic Trail for the last couple of years and have hiked the northern section pretty extensively, there are 1400 miles of trails in FL. And the hiking season is opening this month in FL so am heading down the end of the month for a 3 week work hike along the Suwanee River and if time into the Osceola National Forest. Really looking forward to it because it's not only hot during the summer but the bugs are so bad they will drive you insane. After that I would like to head up to N. GA into the Appalachian mountains and hike a little of the Appalachian Trail, it goes from central GA up to Maine. I've hiked a few miles of it a couple of months ago when I went camping with my daughter and her family and it was an awesome experience.
Sounds like y'all got some good plans hope things work out and y'all get to do some traveling, there's nothing like getting out and seeing what we have here in this great country, there's so much to see it will take me the rest of my lifetime to see it. :)

Mike

kklor

Mike-
Sounds like you have the better side of the country to be exploring now. Plus you will get all the colors of Fall which are scarce here due to all the conifers. They are lovely except when Fall hits because I miss the explosion of color from growing up on the East Coast. I have done a small section of the Appalachian trail in Virginia and West Virginia. Skyline Drive in Virginia is an amazing drive this time of year and very popular with motorcyclists. I doubt I could ride my scooter on it though, lol. Bill Bryson wrote a book on his hiking the trail which is a good read called "A Walk in the Woods". YES, we do have so much beauty and diversity here in the US that I too will not finish in my lifetime and don't mind repeats. Looking forward to seeing your photos when you get back. Happy Trails! Kathleen :)

mikeh32217

Kathleen,
I spent my college years in KY and as you say the explosion in the fall is breathtaking, didn't get the change in FL hoping to see a little here in SC.
I know what you mean about the seasons there I went through in spring and fall and you wouldn't really have known what season it was. I think there was snow on the ground most times I did go through, but it looked so quiet and peaceful. The town I lived in FL for 26 years, Jacksonville has become little New York and I grew to hate and I took the first opportunity to get out.
I will definitely be posting when I get back from 3 week work hike, I love being out in the woods and that section of the Florida Trail is one of the prettiest sections. I've taken a lot of pictures while hiking there but wasn't real happy with them, now that my skills are progressing maybe I'll have a little better luck.
Thanks for the friend request,
Mike