Hi from Nottingfhamshire

bcrawley57

Hi to all from Brian in Nottinghamshire. Just bought my first DSLR yesterday after much reading and pondering. Not by any means an advanced model, but one that hopefully will introduce me to the world of good photography. I have gone for the Nikon D3200, took me two weeks to decide between the D3100 and D3200, I hope I made the right choice.

I am pretty much a newcomer to photography after spending most of my life just pointing and shooting. To be honest that is all I am doing with this in the 24 hours I have owned it. I hope to pick up some tips here. One thing I really do want to know is what I would need to take good photographs close up of things like ladybirds and flower heads etc. I do like that type of photograph.

mikew_RIP

Welcome to the forum,a good choice of camera,as for what do you need for macro and close up it will be governed by your budget,Starting at the top end a macro lens and ending at the cheapest option close up filters.
Close up filters are a very cheap start but can degrade the image and put you off,the macro lens will be expensive but it does other jobs,which kit lens did you get.

mike

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

The first thing you need to do is to just gets used to the equipment you have and learn all you can about it and then and only then start your long road of addiction of buying more Nikon Gear. Around here we call that NAS "Nikon Acquisition Syndrome"

bcrawley57

Thank you for replies, my budget would be in the region of £200. I like the thought of Auto focus and VR but not sure if that is relevant on a Macro lens. I also do not really understand what all the lens numbers mean yet. I shall read up. just bought the Ultimate Guide to Nikon DSLR volume 2 from WH Smiths.

mikew_RIP

Thank you for replies, my budget would be in the region of £200. I like the thought of Auto focus and VR but not sure if that is relevant on a Macro lens. I also do not really understand what all the lens numbers mean yet. I shall read up. just bought the Ultimate Guide to Nikon DSLR volume 2 from WH Smiths.

Good idea swat up and then you will have a better idea if advice given is relevant to your needs.for really high magnification macro work i dont think AF is really needed you can just move in until the subject is sharp in the viewfinder,AF though does make the lens better for other subjects though.

mike

Last edited:

Vincent

Hello. You will find a lot of videos on the subject. The final conclusion will be, experiment.
For a macro lens, mainly look at the magnification, e.g.: the 105mm f2,8 Micro will have 1:1 (Macro), it might just work second hand in your budget.
I quite liked this site on the subject: Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up LensesCertainly follow this: Macro Forum