D610 - is it really happening?

Fred Kingston

It's a Rumor... posted on a web site that's named "Nikon RUMORS"... :D

​It fosters discussion, but nothing anyone can go to the bank with...

I think it would be a smart move to rename it the 610 IF THEY INDEED HAVE FIXED THE ISSUE. Would boost consumer confidence. Even if they have now fixed the issue people are still leery of buying it not knowing if they have a good on or an old one that still has the issue. The 610 will answer that question.

Whiskeyman

I think it would be a smart move to rename it the 610 IF THEY INDEED HAVE FIXED THE ISSUE. Would boost consumer confidence. Even if they have now fixed the issue people are still leery of buying it not knowing if they have a good on or an old one that still has the issue. The 610 will answer that question.

I fully agree that they need to make a clean break from the D600 and a D610 goes a way toward that. That would help Nikon.

The $64k question is what will they do for current D600 owners? The way I see it, the resale value of a used D600, already impacted by the "spot" issue, will take a huge hit with the intro of the new, improved (fixed?) camera.

WM

NVSteve

The $64k question is what will they do for current D600 owners? The way I see it, the resale value of a used D600, already impacted by the "spot" issue, will take a huge hit with the intro of the new, improved (fixed?) camera.

I personally don't care about the resale value as I didn't buy it as an investment for a future sale, although I can understand how others hold an opposite view. I agree that something should be done for current D600 owners, especially if it is proven or leaked that the D610 really does contain a fix to the "spot & dust problem." As to the D610, I don't see anything wrong with the rumor of its pending arrival at all. In fact, it makes a lot of sense. The D600 is their entry level model & I wouldn't be suprised to see updates to its line just as often as the other entry level APS-C models.

If the rumor proves to be true & I was currently in the market for a new FF body, I would wait for the D610 to be released & then get evaluated by consumers for a while. If not spot problem, the D610 it would be, even if the D600 ends up being $1k less at the time. A lot of things in life are a compromise, but having to blow off or wet clean a sensor before every outing is a bit much for some of us.

Last edited:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It's a Rumor... posted on a web site that's named "Nikon RUMORS"... :D

​It fosters discussion, but nothing anyone can go to the bank with...

Don't tell anyone, I have a prototype with me that I am currently evaluating to make sure that it will be deserving as a replacement of the D600. ;)

I can't wait to get the actual release.

Rick M

I doubt they will do anything for current D600 users. Due to the fact they are are deep discounting the refurbs, essentially putting more on the market to recall at a loss? No way. They will continue to ignore and move forward. That being said, the D600 is a great camera and I have no problem cleaning the sensor. I will be disappointed about resale, but if the 610 comes out, I'm sure my dealer will give me a good trade if I want it.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Rick - I think the D600 and soon to be the D610 have the ideal specs per Se. If I needed an extra FX camera, the D610 will be it, provided that all of the bugs have been addressed similar to the Nikon SB 900 and SB 910 flash issue.