Bulb mode - 30 min limit? Or indefinite?

sOnIc

Hey ppl . .. I was used to having a 30 min limit on bulb exposures from my old D50, and I sort of expected my new D3200 to be the same. BUT, in the manual it says bulb mode is 'indefinite' so I got all excited!! I tried it using my IR remote control, and was gutted when it turned off at 30 mins. Does an intervalometer get around this? Or an alternative shutter-release cable?

Also I read about somebody saying he had a 100 image limit when using an intervalometer - that can't be a limit because it would screw up time-lapse sequences, surely?! http://nikonites.com/d3200/15650-shutter-release-cable-d3200-=-only-100-images.html#axzz2d5aSpRBO

Please tell me my camera can do 6 hour star trails??!! Or 6 hour time-lapse sequences?! For example...

(I know you can stack images, but that's not my point...)

singlerosa_RIP

My MC-DC2 has a lock feature that allows for unlimited (I think) shutter speeds. I'm guessing a 6-hour star trail might result in circles of light, if that's what you're after. Most folks I know who have done trails, keep the shutter open for about an hour.

sOnIc

Thanks Jim .. a 6 hour exposure would give you a quarter of a circle of light (24hrs in a day), any more would risk dawn/dusk light in the shot, of-course that depends on the time of year etc. It's Summer in the UK and I'd probably get away midnight till 2am for a star trail, but much better in the Winter with many more hours of full darkness.
The MC-DC2 looks good, and it might well overide the 30min limit i'm getting with the IR remote, I just need confirmation from somebody that's used the D3200 for over half an hour, is it possible? TY