Newbie from NJ

gordinho80

Hi all. I'm new to the forum, and photography in general.

My name is Mario, from Central, NJ. My wife and I purchased a D5000 kit a few years ago. We wanted something to take great pictures with for our upcoming destination wedding in Mexico. We have friends with Canon and others with Nikon... we opted for Nikon!

Our first couple of years, we stuck with the kit lenses. We've tried to learn as much about photography as we've gone. Last year, I got rid of the 55-200mm kit lens and I picked up a 50mm 1.8 lens which I LOVE! This thing is amazing! I'm using this lens the most now, but am now looking for something with a little more range. I've been reading up on the Tamron 28-75mm 2.8, Amazon.com: Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) with Built-In AF Motor for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Model A09NII): Camera & Photo.

Some pictures we've taken. These are from our trip earlier this year to Ireland.
killarney1.jpg

killarney3.jpg

blarney2.jpg

dublin4.jpg

kklor

Welcome Mario!
Looks like you are off to a great start. A lens with more focal length that you might like is the Nikon 70-300. The Nikon 18-105mm is a good walking around lens that is better than the 55-200 that you are trying to replace. I hope that you have a good local camera shop where you can get some advice and try the lens out. Good luck!

gordinho80

The Nikon 18-105mm is a good walking around lens that is better than the 55-200 that you are trying to replace.

I'm actually trying to replace the 18-55mm kit lense with the Tamron that I posted. How does the Nikon 18-105mm stack up to the Tamron 28-75mm I linked above?

Unfortunately, no local camera shops.

kklor

I think you would enjoy the 18-105mm. It will give you a bit more of the beginning of the tele range in addition to the wide and normal range. It is well balanced on the camera and I have had great results with it and price wise I would think it is check with the Tamaron lens. I know it is so hard to choose that next lens as I have been struggling with a wide angle tele choice for months now. My local shop here lets you rent many of these lenses and applies all the rental fee to the purchase of a new in box lens. I would think that you might have a similar chance to do so in your area if that helps ease the decision. Best of luck and happy shooting! Kathleen

kklor

If you are using the lens for mostly indoor/ low light and no flash conditions then I would go with the Tamron. I use mine for landscapes, day trips, etc. and I have not had any problems with the loss of the 1-2 Fstops (depending on the focal range). I like that it is Nikon glass and build and I really have come to enjoy the versatility of the range from wide angle to a tele range and often go without lugging around any other lenses when I know what to anticipate what I will be shooting. It is also nice not to have to change lens in less than ideal conditions like at the beach. Google DXO labs for the optical quality of the Tamron. Some of their lenses are decent and some are not so dependable. You have to make a decision based on how you see yourself using this lens and whether you need that extra f-stop.