Hello from Minnesota

Chris1983

Hello all. I was going to say "Longtime listener, first time caller", but I guess that's the wrong medium. ;)

I'm about to purchase my first DSLR (trying to decide between D3100 & D3200) and am quite excited about it. I currently just have a VERY simple FujiFilm point and shoot. My wife and I finally realized that between Grandchildren and wanting to explore photography as a hobby, it was time to move up. We don't have a huge budget ($400-$550 USD), but I know whatever we get will be a blast and light years beyond what we have now.

I can pick up the D3100 with the 18-55 VR lens for approximately $415.00; the D3200 with the same lens is approximately $485.00. Being totally new to DSLR, I really don't what my "needs" are or will be. As noted, we'd like to get into the "hobby" aspect of photography as time goes, but for now it will be basic shots: grandkids around the house and yard and also some nature shots. I would probably utilize the HD movie aspect as well.

​Anyway, I'm excited to take the "plunge" and welcome any and all comments and advice.

Ruidoso Bill

Welcome to Nikonites! Minnesota is my childhood home, still have family there. Always a great place to take pictures, I especially love Duluth and Lake Superior and the great North Shore. Any camera is a great place to start - taking pictures is where its at.

Chris1983

Wow, thank you all for the kind and warm reception; what nice folks!

I'm certainly trying to avoid going gray(er) regarding my choice of camera. I want to get that choice right, as my wife and I will most likely have this as our primary camera for a good deal of time. As ANY of the Nikons mentioned are going to be a complete new world for us, I'm trying to navigate that territory between not over-reaching/spending for features that look "cool", but that I probably will never really utilize, versus passing up some great things that I may not understand now, but will as I gain more experience, all for the sake of saving $75-$150. The D3100 looks to be a terrific camera, but are the benefits and advances of the D3200 or D5100 worth that extra $75-$150 for an entry-level newbie like me?

Sigh. I think I need to have some breakfast and watch some English Premier League soccer. :highly_amused:

Rick M

The D 3100 and the 3200 do not have auto bracketing which you may find very useful down the road. You might want to look into the D5100 and the 5200 specifically for that feature. if I were starting out again I would probably go with the D 5200 is the best beginner camera currently With a feature set that will grow with you.

Chris1983

The D 3100 and the 3200 do not have auto bracketing which you may find very useful down the road. You might want to look into the D5100 and the 5200 specifically for that feature. if I were starting out again I would probably go with the D 5200 is the best beginner camera currently With a feature set that will grow with you.

Thank you Rick. Right now it's similar to trying to decide between great vehicles in different price ranges. Again, the reassuring factor is that whichever model I pick, it will be a terrific camera and will allow me to take beautiful photos as I learn and grow with it.