D90 to D7000. surprise surprise, traded in for Sony nexus7 !!

Vsteel

All the bulk, all the weight.
In the end my superb Nikons had to go.
Sorry to say this but the mirrorless Nexus7 is a dream come true.
Small light superb sensor 10 fps HD video its all there in a small light package.
Now I have a camera I can take everywhere with ease.
If only the Nikon wasnt such a monster.
It does have me wondering if the technology building rapidly into mirrorless systems is improving to a point where DSLR's will become extinct.
The margins in quality and performance are certainly narrowing.
regards to all.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
All the bulk, all the weight.
In the end my superb Nikons had to go.
Sorry to say this but the mirrorless Nexus7 is a dream come true.
Small light superb sensor 10 fps HD video its all there in a small light package.
Now I have a camera I can take everywhere with ease.
If only the Nikon wasnt such a monster.
It does have me wondering if the technology building rapidly into mirrorless systems is improving to a point where DSLR's will become extinct.
The margins in quality and performance are certainly narrowing.
regards to all.

Every photographer has their own taste. There is nothing wrong in shifting with NEX 7 since it also lacks the AA filter and possibly offers better video feature especially the focus peak. Going to a smaller camera has it's own merits and cons. They are definitely lighter if that is what is important to you and provides decent quality pictures.

On the other hand, you loose the weather sealing, more difficult for people with larger fingers, more difficult to fiddle with the controls when shooting in cold weather especially when using gloves, limited lens selection unless you like to use an adapter to use other lenses.

If I'm going to get a Sony NEX system, I would probably own both systems. I don't see myself letting go of my DSLR for the convenience of going small and light.

Roy1961

Contributor
congrats and good luck with your new nexus, i couldnt wait to go from a point a shoot to a DSLR, the size and weight didnt bother me.

Deezey

Sounds like you have found a system you love.

The size and weight are actually two things I love about my Nikon dSLR. I even gripped it to make it bigger! Happy snapping with the Sony.

Vsteel

I loved the Nikon its a great camera.
But for me the nexus will be seeing a lot more use.
Half the time I was using my coolpix and leaving the D7000 at home.
Thats plain wrong. If you have a decent camera you should be using it.
To much hassle carrying everything around. Airports crowded streets hotels.
I feel a lot more freedom with the nexus, and the photos are as good as.
Whilst on the mirrorless subject, this is a very interesting debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjyzrA5-768

Best wishes to all and happy snapping.

Last edited:

Belo

I tried out a Fujifilm XE-1 for two weeks and went back to dslr.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I loved the Nikon its a great camera.
But for me the nexus will be seeing a lot more use.
Half the time I was using my coolpix and leaving the D7000 at home.
Thats plain wrong. If you have a decent camera you should be using it.
To much hassle carrying everything around. Airports crowded streets hotels.
I feel a lot more freedom with the nexus, and the photos are as good as.
Whilst on the mirrorless subject, this is a very interesting debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjyzrA5-768

Best wishes to all and happy snapping.

I just wonder if you're going to find an as nice as us Forum for the Nexus users. Maybe you won't miss your Nikon, but I'm certain that you'll miss us. ;)

stmv

so, for me,, a 10 mm to 400 mm, zero distortion, shoot in dark, same DOF control, full manual easy to use controls (spin dials), Non LCD viewer without any distortion, no noise, 60 meg, water proof, shock proof, at say 2000 dollars,, flash attatchment, etc etc,, and then sure,,

donaldjledet

Won't be selling mine, I also love the feel of my D7100 w/grip. weight doesn't bother me even though I'm getting up there in age.
But enjoy your Nex 7. Happy shooting.

crashton

Good luck with your new camera. Like the other's here I'm sticking with my Nikon's. Just because you bought a Sony NEX7 doesn't mean you can't hang out here with us.

Vsteel

Good luck with your new camera. Like the other's here I'm sticking with my Nikon's. Just because you bought a Sony NEX7 doesn't mean you can't hang out here with us.
Very kind gents,
As long as Im not accused of being a Troll.
As I have said, The Nikon DSLR's are superb camera's.
For me it was a pain lugging it, and the gear around.
So much so I simply wasnt using the camera.
Now unless your being very very picky, the Nex7 is a blast of a camera, and capable of being discreet, and easy to carry about.
Its a nice trade off between a point and shoot and a dslr, plus excellent video capability.
Nice sensor, nice lens,10 fps, ect ect.
But the most important thing is. I will be using it.
And a camera as good as the Nikons, and dare I say, the little Nexus deserve to be used.
I would love to report back on my findings good or bad just as points of interest.

Horoscope Fish

Just Right for Some, Just Not Right for Me...

... For me it was a pain lugging it, and the gear around. So much so I simply wasn't using the camera.
Now unless your being very very picky, the Nex7 is a blast of a camera, and capable of being discreet, and easy to carry about.
And it seems to me these are the really big, winning considerations for many: Size and weight. And that's pretty tough to argue because the mirror-less format cameras ARE smaller and lighter. Speaking for myself, though, I'm at the point where I don't even notice the size or weight of my camera. It's like my pocket knife, it's always there and I'm not even really aware of it. My camera feels like an extension of myself. Now, in 20 years time, I agree I may find myself singing a different tune...

The other thing I find difficult when using a mirror-less is that most everything needs to be done through menus. On my DSLR many functions are controlled externally, on the body or the lens, and I can flip and flop and modify critical settings on the fly, often without even pulling my eye away from the viewfinder. For me, that's a HUGE consideration because I do a lot of that and I like the sense of flow and control being able to do that brings me. I found, in using a mirror-less, I too often had to stop, open the menu, click-click-click through the menu-system, make my adjustment and in so doing the creative... spark... that creative sense of urgency, gets lost.

crashton

I understand the size & weight thing. Being an older guy that means a lot to me. For a light weight knock about kit I bought a Nikon V1. Works very well for that. There are times when the V1 won't do & I bring out the big gun, D7000.

​I did consider a NEX, but the auto-focus speed let it down for me.

Hope you post some pictures with your new mirrorless. :)