What kind of lens is this?

kashkennels

sirius pics.jpg can someone tell me what kind of lens is used for this photo? I have a nikon d 7000 & want to buy a lens that will give me this much blur to the background. thanks in advance.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
View attachment 47545 can someone tell me what kind of lens is used for this photo? I have a nikon d 7000 & want to buy a lens that will give me this much blur to the background. thanks in advance.

Can't say which specific lens but there are several factors that affects the Out of Focus area or bokeh. Longer telephoto lenses or even a 50mm f1.8G can produce a similar image as long as the back ground distance is further away from your subject, or move closer to the subject and shoot with a bigger aperture (smaller number such as f2.8).

kashkennels

thanks for the replies. Any suggestions on a lens that will give me a better "bokeh" than the stock lens on the nikon d 7000? Here is another example of the look im going for.

-not a professional. Just a dog breeder, trying to get better shots of my dogs. :) sirius pics2.jpg

kashkennels

here is an example of what i was able to do with my stock lens, in aperture mode, with the aperture at 2.8, i think that is the best my stock lens will do. Would like the background to be blurrier like the other pics.

WHIPLASH4.jpg

pedroj

Try placing your subject further away from the back ground at the biggest aperture...What lens do you have

What do u find distracting with the trees in the back ground...

F2.8 sounds like a pretty good "stock lens"

Last edited:

Bill16

If you look at the end of the lens it should say what lens it is. Often Nikon has a kit lens with the body, but which lens depends the deal that is offered. So if you post which lens your Nikon came with it might help to answer your questions better.
Welcome to nikonites! :D
stock lens on the nikon d 7000

gqtuazon

Gear Head
here is an example of what i was able to do with my stock lens, in aperture mode, with the aperture at 2.8, i think that is the best my stock lens will do. Would like the background to be blurrier like the other pics.

What is your budget?

I would suggest the Nikon 85mm f1.8G to get you started.

kashkennels

Sorry, was unaware they sold different lenses on the camera. This is my first cam. Lens is a af-s nikkor 18-105mm 1:3.5-5.6g & i'm guessing 3.5 was the highest aperture on this not 2.8. Since i'm not trying to start a business or anything my budget is around 500.

eidian

DSC_0390.jpg

Taken with a 35mm f/1.8 G lens. This lens has awesome bokah. I've taken a bunch of pics of my wife and daughter and they just pop out of the picture when the lens is open wide. This lens is great. My D3200 came with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses but the 18-55 is only a backup now because the 35 is so versatile. I got the lens for less than $170 refurbished and don't regret it one bit. I also have a 50mm Series E lens that produces amazing images, but that lens is from the 1970's so it's full Manual when shooting, which means it takes a lot of extra time setting up and getting the shot right because I have none of the electronics helping me.

When I attached this pic I didn't get the option to resize it the way it was described in a thread that I found last week. The thread had screen captures but I didn't get the option manipulate the pic. Hope that the file isn't too big.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kodiak

…what kind of lens will give me this much blur to the background. thanks in advance.

Hello kashkennels!

Blur is not feature or equipment specific but condition specific. Any equipment
will render its full bokeh potential under given conditions.

1. Aperture. The more the lens is opened (bigger ƒ), the less the DoF.
2. Focus Distance. The closer the subject is to the minimum focus distance
of the lens the less DoF.
3. Focal Length. The longer lenses will render shallower DoF

Now, if one combines the three conditions, the result is not an addition but a
multiplication!

Have a good day…

Last edited:

§am

At 35mm you'd need to be pretty close to the dogs to get a decent fill on your frame, and I'm guessing that dogs will get too distracted by you and your camera if you do that.
So go for something with a bit more reach, the 85mm is a good recommendation from others already.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
For outdoor, I would get the 85mm f1.8G. But that's just me.

Here is an example. Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 @ 90mm, f2.8.

gray hounds by gqtuazon, on Flickr

I agree that either an 85mm f/1.8 or a 70-200mm f/2.8 is the way to go. The 85mm is definitely the less expensive lens of the two.

The original images might have been taken with a 70-200mm if they were shot at a dog show. There's no way to tell for sure how far the camera was from the dog.

kashkennels

Thanks, ya'll have been extremely helpful! Will the 85mm f1.8G. give me as much reach or maybe more than the lens i have now? When taking puppy pics i kinda just have to run from them, bend down in snap to get pics of them or else their jumping up on me.