D3s with High Shutter Count? Price?

Cameron

So I have the opportunity to buy a D3s for $3200.00 Canadian. (3100 US)

It has a shutter of 260,000 clicks.

It is in good condition physically, and shows no signs of mistreatment.

It is coming from a sport photographer.

Is this a good price? is there a more reasonable price I should counter with?

Thanks guys,

Cameron

Last edited:

Rick M

That's a lot of Clicks! I would find out how much Nikon will charge for a new shutter mech installed and deduct that from the asking price as a counter-offer

Cameron

Rick, thanks, I am going to be doing that today. (or Monday if they are closed today)

I guess that's another question, I have searched and searched and other than some speculation by people on the internet . . . . . What exactly are some of the other dangers associated with buying a heavily shot camera? What else exactly gets worn out?

In my mind I have no problem with the idea of buying used. And people seem to be shooting their cameras far past that, so I am just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I believe the D3s shutter has a life expectancy of 300,000 actuation. Not much left especially once you try the higher fps from that camera, you will get addicted. I wouldn't get it if it was me.

Kodiak

It's a lot of clicks …says Rick M and this confirmed by Glen.

As a long time D3S user, I say they are both right.

That money… well, not really. Rick is giving a good tip:
"I would find out how much Nikon will charge for a new shutter mech installed and deduct that from the asking price as a counter-offer"

Be wise!

Have a good day…

fotojack

I wouldn't get it. It's near its projected "end of life" cycle. As rugged as they are, they do have a finite life cycle. I would follow Ricks suggestion about the counter offer.

Rick M

It's like anything else, everything wears out. The shutter is the most mechanical element hence the suggestion. Aside from that, knobs and buttons wear out also, but I don't think you'll find a life expectancy on those items. Personally, I would not buy it unless they were practically giving it away.

Cameron

Ok, well I am going to go ahead with it.

I just got a local shutter priced out at around $450

So that puts me at (when it fails) $3650 for the D3s. and at that point it will have a brand new shutter..

This compared to $3800 for a D3s I was waiting on from a local guy that had 92,000 shots.

So I dont know I am going to give it a shot .

whats the worst thing that will happen??? haha . . . awwww . . .

Last edited:

Cameron

On another note, I am reading a bunch about what people think about sending in your camera for "regular maintenance"

I dont want to come across as a dummy, I am usually the one selling my stuff when its getting old. I unloaded my D90, and D7000 and long before they reached anymore then like 60,000 shots. . .

So I don't know, is it worth it sending a high mileage camera for "service" to have things alligned? or is that all BS?

I have read and read, and I hear both sides of the argument. And perhaps the argument should be, "Cam, its like buying a used care, if you want assurances and warranty, buy new you cheap bum"

So yeah I dont know,

carguy

Ok, well I am going to go ahead with it.

I just got a local shutter priced out at around $450

So that puts me at (when it fails) $3650 for the D3s. and at that point it will have a brand new shutter..

This compared to $3800 for a D3s I was waiting on from a local guy that had 92,000 shots.

So I dont know I am going to give it a shot .

whats the worst thing that will happen??? haha . . . awwww . . .
Is the $3800 camera still available? Personally, I'd drop the extra $150 and get the camera with 92K actuations. As stated above, things wear out, the buttons, dials, etc. $150 is nothing when discussing a body like that.

Cameron

K, but that $150 number comes from after a potential shutter replacement.

The 250k camera is only $3200 right now. Sorry I see that that became muddled.
Its fully functioning right now for 3200.

its 550 diffrence. for 150 I would drop it in a hat. but the camera is working right now. and its 550 less expensive.