Silverstone & the MotoGP

southwestsam

The missus and I are off to the MotoGP at the end of the month at Silverstone.

I just wondered if anyone had shot bikes there before, and if so whether you had any particular insights as to the best places to be or the best times to get decent shots?

We have roving grandstand tickets for Fri & Sat with Village B tickets for race day.

The kit I've got is listed below - having been there for the F1 (pre camera purchase) I recon ill need the 70-300mm most of the day but I will be taking both lenses.

Also, if anyone has shots they've taken there I'd love to see them along with what kit/settings you were using!

Over and out.

southwestsam

It seems my signature didnt show so ill be taking:

D5100
18-55mm VR kit lens
70-300mm AF-S IF ED VR
32GB & 8GB C10 (UHS1) SanDisk Ultra memory cards

Over and out again!

Kodiak

I just wondered if anyone had shot bikes there before, and if so whether you had any particular insights as to the best places to be or the best times to get decent shots?

Hey Sam,

I could tell you a lot of things but the only one you need is:

Go where the pros are (if you can) … they know where the good shots are!​

crycocyon

Ya I was going to say turns because you can pre-focus at the apex and nothing beats a tight shot of a bike/rider in full swing around a turn. You'll be shooting at 300 the whole time. Wish I could join you!

southwestsam

Yes I think it will probably be at least 250mm for the majority of snaps!

I'm not overly interested in shooting video but I don't think they'd expect it unless you had a camcorder surely? Best not to risk it anyway!!

The F1 was great, but too expensive to go on a regular basis (£600 for tickets, £50 parking, £200 hotel (3*)). Obviously yet to go to the MotoGP but I've heard you get a lot of racing/entertainment and its way cheaper - £200 for tickets inc. parking, hotel (4*) £160. If it is anywhere near as good as the F1 ill be making it an annual event!

I'd love to get where the pro photogs go but I doubt I'd be able to blag a media pass. Hopefully will still manage to get some good shots. I'm hoping Becketts S's will give me some good change of direction ones.

Will upload when I have them!