Hello from Atlanta

filterxg

I guess I should start off by saying that I don't actually own more than a 5 year old bridge camera. But I'm getting married in October and while I was studying photographers and learning what is a good picture vs a bad picture my interest in photography has grown into an obsession. While studying the differences, I flirted with with Pentax and Sony (I really like the idea of in body stabilization to lighten and cheapen lenses), but in the end I always came back to Nikon. You have hands-down the best sensors, the best community, and the best support among 3rd party hardware and software manufacturers. In a shrinking market that all becomes overwhelmingly important.....For what its worth I never seriously considered Canon due to inferior APS-C sensors, and at least until the SL1 no sign of innovation at the consumer level.

After the wedding I plan on picking up a D5200 with a new Sigma 17-70 and probably a used 70-300 (probably Tamron) as a starter set. I'd also like to pick up the Tokina 11-16 pretty quickly (I seem to be attracted to other people's wide "storytelling" pictures).

I know a big part of what I want to photograph is my wife and eventually my family in a more compelling way than I can now with a smartphone or old bridge camera. I also imagine this will become a full fledged hobby and an opportunity to really try to capture the world as I see it.

Anyway this is all a long winded way of saying, I'm excited to join the community and I may not post often but I'll be reading and learning from all of you. So thank you!

ladytonya

Welcome, you have come to the right place! There is a lot of knowledge on this forum. I am a beginner and I learn something new on here every day.

There are lots of tweeting places to photograph in and around Atlanta. I live in Asheville, NC, but go to about 10 Braves games each year, so I'm down your way quite a bit in the summer. Great city!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites. In reference to your comment about liking Nikon sensors; most, if not all, sensors in Nikon cameras are made by Sony. Just so ya know. :)

filterxg

Welcome to Nikonites. In reference to your comment about liking Nikon sensors; most, if not all, sensors in Nikon cameras are made by Sony. Just so ya know. :)

I was actually referring to the dxomark scores where nikon seems to hold the top spot at just about every category. But yeah I knew the newest DSLRs (at least) are all sony made sensors.

Watch72

Welcome to the forum. Like the others have said - this place is a good resource to brush up your skills. Also, a big Congratulations to you on your wedding.

Whiskeyman

Welcome to nikonites.com. Why wait until after the wedding to buy? There will be lots of opportunities to take pictures between now and then.
WM

filterxg

Welcome to nikonites.com. Why wait until after the wedding to buy? There will be lots of opportunities to take pictures between now and then.
WM

Lol. My fiance doesn't want me distracted....and anyway she isn't exactly thrilled when I try to be honest and say that I could see myself spending a few $k over the next few years on this hobby. ;)