Battery Grip for D3100

Benseed

Howdy

Not sure if this has already been covered, but here goes...

Does anyone know whether nikon plan on a d3100 battery grip in the future, or does that defeat the object of making the camera a tad smaller?

I have seen some third party grips that require them to be plugged into the camera. Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

Thanks!

Bill16

Re: Battery Grip?

I have one of the off brand battery grips. Mine has been doing fine for me. I don't like using the wire much so I often just leave it off. But I like mine so far other than that. I can't remember what brand it is, to tell the truth, but it was pretty cheap at around $40-$50. I would have much rather had a Nikon version if they had any, but this one will do. Lol :)

Benseed

I have one of the off brand battery grips. Mine has been doing fine for me. I don't like using the wire much so I often just leave it off. But I like mine so far other than that. I can't remember what brand it is, to tell the truth, but it was pretty cheap at around $40-$50. I would have much rather had a Nikon version if they had any, but this one will do. Lol :)

Thanks for your reply! Do you find it difficult to take shots when holding your camera in different angles without the shutter release working on your grip though? I'm worried about fumbling the camera trying to reach the shutter release on top of the body without the grip being plugged in.

Bill16

Not too much. I have a hand strap I use so I don't lose my grip. But for me it was never too bad even before I bought the hand strap. If I was taking a lot of shots with the Nikon on it's side I think I would go ahead and plug in the cable, just so it was more comfortable.
I just don't like the access to the ports being uncovered to keep the cable plugged in all the time. But it might be just me being paranoid of getting something like water or dirt in the jacks and messing it up somehow. Lol :)
Thanks for your reply! Do you find it difficult to take shots when holding your camera in different angles without the shutter release working on your grip though? I'm worried about fumbling the camera trying to reach the shutter release on top of the body without the grip being plugged in.

ryanp

I had one of the aftermarket grips on my D3200 and to be honest; it needs one.
I didn't realise how small the camera was (it being my first DSLR then) until I had the grip on.
Regarding the small lead, I was expecting worse, yes it's not ideal but it's not as if it's a 4 inch long cable that can snag. Mine was pretty short and stayed fairly close and tight to the body.
It was a bit plasticy but I was expecting that for the money I paid.
All in all, a good purchase. Yes it can be argued that you can carry a spare battery (as I did) but by the time you mess about grabbing the battery from your bag and swapping it, you could have missed the shot. 2 fresh batteries in the grip and you're good for about 1000 shots.
For the sort of money they're going for, you could probably afford the risk of buying one. If you don't like it, there's plenty of people who will buy it from you on eBay.

Jonathan

I have a third party battery grip that takes two batteries and screws into the tripod hole. I love it. I don't use the extra cable and have no problem using the camera in different angles (but I do have very big hands). The extra weight gives me more stability, which is good as my default lens is an 18-300mm so it can be quite heavy.