Nikon D3100 & Lightroom 4 Lens Correction problem

paul_b

I have a Nikon D3100 with kit lens & also Lightroom 4.

I've imported some Raw (NEF) files into Lightroom. I've enabled (ticked) Lens Profile Corrections and is set to auto. Lightroom recognizes my camera make and lens and has a profile for them (the kit lens is a AF-S DX 18-55 mm VR Zoom Lens). The problem i have is the lens correction improves the lens distortion but i can clearly see that its not quite right (straight lines are not yet straight). ViewNX2 and DxO (trial) both produce much better corrections.

I don't understand why Lightroom is giving these poor results.

Has anybody else noticed this problem with the D3100 with kit lens and Lightroom 4?

P.s I updated the lens firmware straight after unpacking.

paul_b

Lightroom 5 adds sliders to that component that lets you add/subtract the amount of adjustment...

Hi Fred

I think Lightroom 4 does too. I just don't understand why the adjustments are off in the 1st place? Is it normal to have to fine tune the lens corrections for every RAW file in Lightroom?

jwstl

I just don't understand why the adjustments are off in the 1st place?
It's simple...someone had to create the profile and they didn't do as good a job in your opinion as the people who created the profiles for the other programs. You can't expect the same exact results for every program you use.

paul_b

It's simple...someone had to create the profile and they didn't do as good a job in your opinion as the people who created the profiles for the other programs. You can't expect the same exact results for every program you use.

I could upload some screenshots to show what i mean rather than try and put it into words. Lines that should be straight are a still curved (just not as much) and it's quite immediately noticeable.

jwstl

Lines that should be straight are a still curved (just not as much) and it's quite immediately noticeable.

The lens profiles should be used as a starting point only. They aren't supposed to be used as the final word in corrections. Apply it and if it still isn't as good as you want, make adjustments.

WhiteLight

I have noticed that at times LR does not recognise the 18-55 lens, so the correction it makes is not accurate.
Could this be the case?

paul_b

The lens profiles should be used as a starting point only. They aren't supposed to be used as the final word in corrections. Apply it and if it still isn't as good as you want, make adjustments.

O, Ok

I've only ever used 2 Raw developers (Lightroom 4 and DxO Optics Pro). I had a Lumix G3 Compact System Camera before my new Nikon, and in Lightroom the Lens corrections wern't user adjustable, the Raws just rendered automatically with the same distortion correction as the in-camera Jpegs (although not quite perfect). So i've never had to adjust distortion in Lightroom before. I've used DxO too and the lens distortion corrections were spot on every time (but I'm not too keen on everything else compared to Lightroom). So i've never had to manually adjust distortion before. So am i right in now understanding that in Lightroom the lens corrections for Nef's are roughly done at 1st and often not spot on and require the user to fine tune further? Do most people find that?

Thanks for the advice.