D7000 Grainy photos

Bun-Bun

I am having an issue with the pictures I take with my D7000. Everything I take when viewed at 100% looks grainy. Now I don't know if it is actual grain I am seeing or if it just bayer interpolation. I shoot low ISO's (100-800) and have been using Nikon prime lenses. Everything I read says the D7000 has very low noise.

DSC_0147.jpgDSC_0962.jpgDSC_8334.jpgDSC_0317.jpg

I was just accepting it for what it is but then I did some editing for another photographer this evening and his pictures look perfect. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2][/SIZE][/FONT]14_NA_A_Patterson_03a.jpg

Am I doing something wrong? Is this difference simply the fact his Canon 5D is 21mp vs my D7000's 16mp? Comparing raw files with no post processing @ 100% my images look grainy and his pictures look silky smooth.

I have been thinking about buying the D600 but I don't want to spend more money and still not have my desired results. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+2][/SIZE][/FONT]

mikew_RIP

Welcome,i would expect a little more info on each picture will be required,is the last shot yours the lighting is totally different.

mike

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

It is hard to see any grain in these small pictures. The Canon shot is not a fair comparison since it is a full studio shot probably with some heavy Photoshop processing. Lots of factors here. Send us one photo that you think is grainy and give the full EXIF data. Also tell us what king of post processing you are doing

mikew_RIP

To be honest i would have thought if you are at the point of doing editing for others,you would realise the wedding ones where interior snaps and the portrait was a studio set,lighting is important.

mike

Sambr

My D7000 was doing the same thing. I could figure it out tried everything I could think of - ended up sending it to Nikon after a set of eagle shots turned out grainy for no unknown reason. Nikon adjust something at least it's what the invoice said(was on warranty) since then it's been stellar even at ISO 1600

Bun-Bun

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

It is hard to see any grain in these small pictures. The Canon shot is not a fair comparison since it is a full studio shot probably with some heavy Photoshop processing. Lots of factors here. Send us one photo that you think is grainy and give the full EXIF data. Also tell us what king of post processing you are doing

The last shot has no post processing on it. I got his raw files and saved that one direct to jpg.

I do most of my post processing in Lightroom 4. A little sharpening and WB and exposure adjustment.

Is there a better way to post the pictures so that you guys can view them 1:1?

Bun-Bun

Welcome...What do you set your white balance at.....

Auto, flash, sun, cloudy depending on situation.

My D7000 was doing the same thing. I could figure it out tried everything I could think of - ended up sending it to Nikon after a set of eagle shots turned out grainy for no unknown reason. Nikon adjust something at least it's what the invoice said(was on warranty) since then it's been stellar even at ISO 1600

I have two D7000 that do the same thing. One is off for servicing maybe it will be better when it comes back.

RockyNH_RIP

Honestly, your photos do not show noise to me as they are too small... and you cannot compare the studio shot to what you were shooting...

Be interesting to see if there is a difference when you get the camera back...

Pat in NH

Bun-Bun

To be honest i would have thought if you are at the point of doing editing for others,you would realise the wedding ones where interior snaps and the portrait was a studio set,lighting is important.

mike

I do understand that. However it does not matter lighting I shoot in. All my pictures look grainy. Even my dad has commented on it and said he was surprised as the D7000 was supposed to have very low noise on high ISO and here on low ISO I have noise.

Here is a dropbox link to an image shot outdoors with lots of light at ISO 100. Shows grain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sadwulxkinbu3uf/DSC_0776.jpg

Code:
Image Exif Data		Value
File Name		DSC_0776.jpg
Date			07/29/2013 06:04 AM
Filesize		9.93M
Width			4928 pixels
Height			3264 pixels
Horizontal Resolution	240dpi
Vertical Resolution	240dpi
Mime Type		image/jpeg
Exif Version		0230

Camera Data		Value
Make			        NIKON CORPORATION
Model			        NIKON D7000
Exposure Time		1/2000 sec.
Aperture Value		2.97 EV
F-stop			f/2.8
ISO			        100
Focal Length		50.0 mm
Exposure Program	        aperture priority
Metering Mode		pattern
Flash Status		flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Light Source		Fine weather
Shutter Speed Value	10965784/1000000

And here is fellow photographers shot. Silky smooth.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq9bdx9gkabw09h/14_NA_A_Patterson_03a_original.JPG

Both of these images were saved to jpg direct from their RAW files. No post processing applied.

Last edited:

AC016

A couple of things to note: RAW files never look as sharp as a polished JPEG. Secondly, you are comparing your D7000 to a 5D mark 3. You are comparing apples to oranges. A 5D will out-perform a D7000 in low light any day! Why?? Because it is a full-frame camera. The 5D will have far less noise when it goes up in ISO. your D7000 will show noise much earlier. In regards to your images, I see no noise in them. If you are pixel peeping, of course you will see "noise". Again, I just don't see it.

Bun-Bun

A couple of things to note: RAW files never look as sharp as a polished JPEG. Secondly, you are comparing your D7000 to a 5D mark 3. You are comparing apples to oranges. A 5D will out-perform a D7000 in low light any day! Why?? Because it is a full-frame camera. The 5D will have far less noise when it goes up in ISO. your D7000 will show noise much earlier. In regards to your images, I see no noise in them. If you are pixel peeping, of course you will see "noise". Again, I just don't see it.

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that the 5D will out perform the D7000 in low light, however none of my examples are low light. The last image I linked is 100 ISO.

I'm actually quite happy with the D7000's high ISO performance (the noise doesn't get worse until ISO 3200). It's just this static noise that I see in all my photos that arnt present in my dad's or other photographer's photo's. My dad shoot's with a D200 and D70s.

And yes for normal pictures printed or on the screen you can't notice it but when cropping it has become apparent. You have to zoom to see it. But the 5D is noise free right from the raw file. Even when I zoom in so far too see the light umbrella reflecting off the subjects eye.

What do you mean by a "polished jpeg"? What post processing considers a "polished jpeg"?

AC016

"And yes for normal pictures printed or on the screen you can't notice it but when cropping it has become apparent. You have to zoom to see it."
It seems like you are worrying about something that no one else will see when they look at your pictures. Unless of course, they are zooming in on them like you are. What I mean by a polished JPEG, is a RAW file converted to JPEG after it has been processed in Photoshop.

RockyNH_RIP

I do understand that. However it does not matter lighting I shoot in. All my pictures look grainy. Even my dad has commented on it and said he was surprised as the D7000 was supposed to have very low noise on high ISO and here on low ISO I have noise.

Here is a dropbox link to an image shot outdoors with lots of light at ISO 100. Shows grain.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sadwulxkinbu3uf/DSC_0776.jpg

Code:
Image Exif Data        Value
File Name        DSC_0776.jpg
Date            07/29/2013 06:04 AM
Filesize        9.93M
Width            4928 pixels
Height            3264 pixels
Horizontal Resolution    240dpi
Vertical Resolution    240dpi
Mime Type        image/jpeg
Exif Version        0230

Camera Data        Value
Make                    NIKON CORPORATION
Model                    NIKON D7000
Exposure Time        1/2000 sec.
Aperture Value        2.97 EV
F-stop            f/2.8
ISO                    100
Focal Length        50.0 mm
Exposure Program            aperture priority
Metering Mode        pattern
Flash Status        flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Light Source        Fine weather
Shutter Speed Value    10965784/1000000

And here is fellow photographers shot. Silky smooth.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rq9bdx9gkabw09h/14_NA_A_Patterson_03a_original.JPG

Both of these images were saved to jpg direct from their RAW files. No post processing applied.

I cannot access the images, guessing its a block from my work computer.. I will try again tonight when I get home.

Pat in NH

alfaholic

Banned
I think your photos looks normal, without grain. You can not compare those two photos because your is taken outside, and the other one in controlled conditions.
You should play more with Lightroom or Camera Raw, RAW photos from D700 can look little bit dull, but nothing that LR or PS can make better.
If you want post some RAW photos, and some of us with some free time can try to polish it and upload here again...

pedroj

If your dad is getting better [noise wise] images with his D70/D200 maybe you are under exposing your shots and introducing noise...

I don't see a lot of noise in the images

Bun-Bun

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Thing is the last two pics I posted have zero post processing on them. And straight out of the camera (raw) the 5D pic looks great to me while mine look noisy.

So I don't think it could be anything I am doing post process. So is it a camera settings or just a matter of the way the camera's interpolate their info?

Maybe I should pick up a D600 locally and try and see what the results are.

Last edited: