Need Some Guidance

Nybillygoat

Hello all,

Looking to make some major purchases, I'am using a D600 now and do alot of landscape and wildlife photography. I currently Have these lenses, Nikon 70-300mm Vr II F4.5 , Nikon 50mm F1.8G, Nikon 24-85 VR II F3.5. Yes my D600 suffers from a dirty sensor, but does not bother me.

I travel a lot , cruises and back woods adventures. I'm looking at buying a D800 with the Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 for landscape shots, and keeping my d600 for wildlife with the 70-300mm ( I know its not the greatest lens). Or buying the Nikon 70-200mm VR II F2.8 and the Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 lenses and just use the D600 for everything.

Or if anyone can suggest a different lens combo?

​Thank You

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I've always wanted to have the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8. Based on my observation from owners and former owners, the lens doesn't really get a lot of use after owning it which is close to my experience with the Nikon 16-35mm f4.

I think you should be happier with the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 or f4 VRIII. Macro lens and probably 85mm lens will probably be next on your wishlist.

Kodiak

… my D600 suffers from a dirty sensor, but does not bother me.

Hi there,

Of course, you can do as you like with your sensor! …but this is such an attitude that
others may read this and possibly have the wrong idea to emulate it.

…sounds like:
"I got a Bentley and the engine doesn't run, but does not bother me."

The sensor IS everything! All that is built around (the rest of the camera) is there to
make the sensor work right because this single part is seeing the picture, without it,
your camera is blind!

Not only will a clean sensor save you time in pp, but some types of dirt are very resilient
and will render your camera almost worthless on the resale market! … as well as the
pictures taken with it.

For sure, lenses are the most important investments but only after a clean sensor!

Vbrg,

Deezey

If I were to purchase the D800, I would sell the D600. Only reason being is the DX mode on the D800 would cover any wildlife photography I would want. If I was looking for that zoom factor.

But what are you really hoping to gain moving from the 600 to the 800? Larger prints?

Scott Murray

I've always wanted to have the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8. Based on my observation from owners and former owners, the lens doesn't really get a lot of use after owning it which is close to my experience with the Nikon 16-35mm f4.

I think you should be happier with the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 or f4 VRIII. Macro lens and probably 85mm lens will probably be next on your wishlist.

I use my 16-35 most of the time especially for landscape photos :)

If you can afford a Nikon D800 and the 14 - 24mm f2.8 then go for it. I am considering doing the same when my D800E arrives, use my D600 with my 80 - 400mmVR and my D800E with the 16 - 35mm. I figure at f7.1 the 80-400mm will not show the sensor dust as much as lower f stops that I will be using for landscape photography and this minimize the spot removal editing which I am currently having to do. PS I clean my sensor very regularly.

Scott Murray

If I were to purchase the D800, I would sell the D600. Only reason being is the DX mode on the D800 would cover any wildlife photography I would want. If I was looking for that zoom factor.

But what are you really hoping to gain moving from the 600 to the 800? Larger prints?

Just remember DX mode on the D800 is around 15.4mp compared to 24mp on the D600, I have noticed a great deal of difference in my photos since getting the D600, I find that the extra detail captured by the D800 is excellent. I was tossing up between the D600 or D800 as a second camera alongside my D800 and went for the D600 due to the ability to get that bit extra in the 400mm range. Also having two cameras does save you from changing lenses all the time, but this is dependent on where and what you are doing I guess.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I use my 16-35 most of the time especially for landscape photos :)

If you can afford a Nikon D800 and the 14 - 24mm f2.8 then go for it. I am considering doing the same when my D800E arrives, use my D600 with my 80 - 400mmVR and my D800E with the 16 - 35mm. I figure at f7.1 the 80-400mm will not show the sensor dust as much as lower f stops that I will be using for landscape photography and this minimize the spot removal editing which I am currently having to do. PS I clean my sensor very regularly.

Of all the lenses that I have, I use the 24-70mm f2.8 the most for family and group picture. The rest of the lenses are more of a specialty lens which gets used for a specific shoot. I understand that everyone has their own style and the 14-24mm will be a great addition. How much it will get used will depend more on the person's interest or mood.

Nybillygoat

Thank you everyone for all the input and help. Thats one of the reasons I prefer this forum over the " Other Guys" . Everyone is willing to help and not start a war over who's gear is better. I may not post alot but I take an hour each night to read all the new posts for the day.

I ended up getting the Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 at Adorama (open box) with the box and The warranty still For a $400.00 Savings
I also Did get The Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VRII From B&H also a open box with the warranty for a $425.00 Savings..

So it was a good day of savings and didn't have to sacrifice manufactures warranties...

I Put the D800 off for now, Id rather build on the lenses. I Know I will have them longer than any camera body.

I might get the 24-70mm F2.8 later on but for now, I really don't take pictures of people. Mostly Landscapes and wildlife.

​Thank you