Newbie looking for advice on DSLR & Lenses for everyday & youth sports shooting...

stig70

Newbie looking for advice on DSLR & Lenses for everyday & youth sports shooting...

Hello everyone,

Newbie here looking to purchase my first DSLR. I think I've read too many reviews/spec docs at this point, and am looking for expert advice as to whether the camera's I've shortlisted are appropriate, or over my head, for the shooting scenarios I've listed below.

I am willing to spend up to $2K (max) to get either a camera body and one great 'all around' lens, or a camera body and two high quality lenses.

Shooting scenarios, in order of importance:

• Have quality AutoFocus functionality with either camera or lens motor for 'Continuous Shooting/Tracking' of players during youth soccer or baseball games. Would prefer not to have to worry about manually zooming for the first 3-6 months as I practice and learn. [Distances of subjects could be from 10 ft to 150ft away]
  • Functionality for recording/playback to HDTV of (HD) quality video. This again would be of youth soccer or baseball games, or practice drills/moves, or indoor school plays/events. Clip lengths would range from 1 to 25 minutes each, and would like the ability to do this multiple times over a 1 to 2 hour period.
    • I would really like to have the ability to record and/or playback HD video in slow motion/60fps)
  • Shoot landscape, nature, animal, people pictures while on family hikes. Subjects couldn be anywhere from 5ft to 100ft away.
  • Shoot pictures of people or groups at outdoor events in moderate to good light such as picnics, beach, hikes, crowds at youth sporting events with subjects 5ft to 35ft away.
  • Shoot pictures of people or groups at indoor events like weddings, parties, etc which are typically all in low to very low light conditions with subjects 5ft to 20ft away. This will only be 4-5 times per year.

Unless I've totally missed the mark, I think I've narrowed my camera choices to the following (3)

• Nikon D5200 (Pluses are: $700 Cost, 5fps continuous shooting, flip out/tilt LCD for video/pictures)

.....I would also consider these to get 60fps functionality / higher quality video.....

• Nikon D7100 (or should I wait to see if price of proposed D7200 is comparable)
  • Canon 70D (heard it is supposed to have excellent video/zoom qualities)

Nikon/Canon/Sigma lens equivalents I've considered (depending on camera body cost first) are:

(Used) Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED (10.7x) VR II AF-S DX as 'all purpose lens'
-or-
(Used) Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED (3.2x) AF-S DX
-and-
(New/Used) Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR

Any useful, productive comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stig70

LensWork

Re: Newbie looking for advice on DSLR & Lenses for everyday & youth sports shooting..

Just a couple of things before the replies start flying in that maybe you might want to consider in your original post:

1. All lenses for Nikon DSLRs are manual zoom. No power zoom lenses in "F" mount available.
2. The D7100 is new. Speculation about "new" models seen to surface 24 hours after the latest "new" model is announced. Any D7200 is at least 18 months away.

donaldjledet

Re: Newbie looking for advice on DSLR & Lenses for everyday & youth sports shooting..

Welcome to the forum.
Just wait a little bit. your questions will get some replies.

WayneF

Shooting scenarios, in order of importance:

• Have quality AutoFocus functionality with either camera or lens motor

That rules out D5200 (requires AF-S lenses, with motor in lens). You want the D7100. It also adds Commander and FV Lock, for wireless control of remote flashes. And like Interval Timer shooting.

You can read/download Nikon manuals here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nik...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

You can search these PDF versions. Search for Compatible Lenses

Rick M

I think your desires may outweigh your budget. Based on your body needs, as WayneF stated, the D7100 should be a priority. From there I'd get the nikon 17-55 2.8, I think that spends your 2k. As far as a tele-zoom with your requirements, either the Nikon 70-200 f4 or the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC (better for indoors). They will run you $1400-1500.

​Better to buy the right tools the first time.

Last edited:

stig70

Thanks for the welcomes.

Thanks to LensWork, WayneF, and Rick M for your feedback and some clarification.

fotojack

Power zooms. Yeah....wouldn't that be nice, eh! :) No such animal, I'm afraid. By the way, the 17-55 is an awesome lens! But there goes your budget! D7100 is your best bet.