set / change autofocus mode

swapnilkambli

Dear All,

I just bought D7100 and have gone through the manual couple of times.

My current setup is D7100 with 18-105 kit lens in manual mode.

I am trying to set the autofocus mode to AF-A Below is what I've tried:

Press the button at AF / M switch and rotate the front / rear dial.

I do not see anything in LCD panel as mentioned in the manual,Further I had to use focus ring to focus my subject.The lens is in auto mode as well.

So what am I doing wrong for setting up AF mode and AF area settings?

Thanks,
Swapnil

BackdoorArts

Make sure the switches on both the lens and camera are set to Autofocus and not Manual. Otherwise, what you are doing is correct. Hold the button, rotate the back wheel to change modes and the front wheel to change the number of focus points. I always use the switch on the lens and never the camera, so when a friend checked out my camera and threw the switch on the body instead I swore he'd broken it. Took me 5 minutes to realize what he'd done.

Last edited:

swapnilkambli

Thanks Jake for your reply...

I made it double to sure that my camera and lens both are in autofocus but still I am unable to change the AF mode
I do not see anything changing in LCD panel.I get only one focus point in the viewfinder but it is not being autofocused.below metering icon i get [[]] but nothing that says like mentioned in the manual.

Please help.

Ca
n low battery cause this?

Please find attached photo of LCD panel.

dsc00443.jpg

Horoscope Fish

If you're SURE both camera and lens switches are in AF mode, I'd try doing a factory reset. If that doesn't bring things back to normal, I'd have to assume something is malfunctioning in either your camera or your lens because from your description, you're doing everything correctly. Do you have another lens you could try? Or a shop you could drive to that would let you test your body with a different lens?

mguffin

Th only way to get the top LCD to look like that, is to mount a MF lens, or switch to MF. The AF mode is always displayed (AF-A,etc...). Double check the lens, and the contacts, and try a different lens...

swapnilkambli

Thanks Guys for your reply :)

Mike you were right the problem is with my 18-105 kit lens with its contacts I dont get that click sound once I fit it in camera.I chnaged the lense & attched 70-300 it is working fine but for this 18-105 I had to make some adjustment to get that click sound .The AF mode is working then.

Thanks again for your hep!!!