HDR and Exposure Control

Mitch Higgins

I just bought a D5200 and have a question about using its HDR function. I get that the point of HDR is to make the camera automatically use the best exposure level in order the get the greatest range of colors, however the D5200 has both HDR and (of course) an exposure compensation knob.

If I'm shooting in HDR, do I want to be fiddling with the exposure compensation? I'm confused as to whether manually pre-adjusting the exposure while having HDR enabled will create strange color patterns or actually help make the photo look clearer. Also, anyone who has a D5200, any recommendation on an HDR intensity setting? Thank you!

WhiteLight

Welcome Mitch.
You just need to bracket your photos...
That's usually achieved by the camera changing the exposure levels for each shot.
Usually (this can be adjusted) it takes the shot at what you specify as the correct exposure & one underexposed & one over exposed.

Not sure of the 5200 has a dedicated 'BKT' (bracketing) button, but i've assinged that to the Fn button on my 5100.

So once you set the camera in bracketing mode by setting the exposure variation between the shots (1/3 stop, 1 stop, 2 stops etc), place the camera on a tripod preferably or if you are good at hand held, go ahead.

The camera will shoot the same scene with 3 diff exposures by varying the shutter speed.
You wouldn't need to compensate in any way.

Your HDR image will need to be created by combining the 3 images so the picture can have the best pixels from all 3 shots.

Mitch Higgins

Thanks for the quick reply, WhiteLight. I'm entirely new to SLR photography, so the only experience I really have is watching many of the video guides on youtube for the D5200.

I've heard that combining bracketed images is somewhat superior to a camera's built-in HDR program, but I'd still like to know how to use that function properly.

In reference to my original post, should I be adjusting the exposure when HDR is enabled? Or does using HDR "grey out" that adjustment, or perhaps even make the photo have strange color levels?

WhiteLight

Thanks for the quick reply, WhiteLight. I'm entirely new to SLR photography, so the only experience I really have is watching many of the video guides on youtube for the D5200.

I've heard that combining bracketed images is somewhat superior to a camera's built-in HDR program, but I'd still like to know how to use that function properly.

You tube videos are a good way to learn.
Bracketing & combining by yourself is definitely a better option than built in HDR.
Very similar to RAW vs JPG.. In JPG the camera chooses the best settings, whereas in RAW you have the liberty to play with the image the way you want to
So when you combine 3 variably exposed images, you have more control on the processed image.

In reference to my original post, should I be adjusting the exposure when HDR is enabled? Or does using HDR "grey out" that adjustment, or perhaps even make the photo have strange color levels?

If you use the HDR option, there is no need to adjust the exposure, as the camera will adjust the settings for you.
The strange colors & 'over cooked' images are usually the outcomes of some over zealous HDR enthusiasts :)
All that you would need to do is choose the HDR option (or bracketing mode), select the best exposure for the normal shot.
Then the next 2 shots will be adjusted by the camera

Rick M

Most of the in-camera HDR programs use only two exposures in Jpeg. Try using the bracketing function, the usual spread is 1-2 ev each way and 0 for the normal shot. I use +-2 normally, or +-1 in bright light. My favorite was +-1.7, but the D600 does not do that.

Blueimac

I've had my Nikon D5200 for almost a year and this morning tried the HDR mode for the first time, I can hear a definite difference in the shutter sound when in HDR mode... but only one single image is produced when I press the shutter release... Does the camera automatically expose the image multiple times ? or do I have to take multiple shots manually for a true HDR image ?

Each time I shoot a frame the HDR settings go back to the default "off" position - Is it suppose to do that ?

and could anyone tell me exactly what the
" Low, Norm, High, High* and Auto " settings for HDR do ?

Horoscope Fish

Does the camera automatically expose the image multiple times?
Effectively, yes. The camera does its "HDR magic" internally based on two exposures that fire all but simultaneously.

...or do I have to take multiple shots manually for a true HDR image?
You don't have to; the camera can do it for you, see above. You CAN do it yourself and you'll gain more control over the process. You have to do all the work yourself, though, and it requires specialized software.

Each time I shoot a frame the HDR settings go back to the default "off" position - Is it suppose to do that?
Yes. HDR is a specialized mode so your camera reverts to normal shooting mode after you take your HDR shot.

and could anyone tell me exactly what the " Low, Norm, High, High* and Auto " settings for HDR do?
It's varying degree's of the HDR effect. Think of them as "High" "Medium" and "Low". The best way to better understand them would be to try experimenting with the different settings.

Last edited: