Confused...

alfaholic

Banned
We recently decided to buy Nikon P310 for my wife, it is small and handy, f1.8 lens, with full manual controls, just what she needs for her photography.
I have D7000, 50mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 18-105 VR, and many other toys in my bag, but while my photos are technically better and more mature, photos made with P310 are somehow more exciting and more interesting. :confused:

I do not know if it has something to do with "all in one" package, small size, macro, and "always in the pocket" factor, maybe because it makes JPG's right away without importing RAW in Lightroom and then processing, all that interesting distortion at the ends of that small lens, or there is something else, but my DSLR looks a little bit plain to my eyes. :p

Does anyone else has this feeling?

There are two different things that could be going on here.

1. Your post processing may need some work.
2. Your wife is a better photographer.

My wife has the Nikon L120 and I must admit, sometimes her photos are better. I think a lot of it is that we (You and Me) tend to push our cameras to the limits and we try new things. The P&S Nikons are very good quality but they stick to the rules and as long as the light is good they get great photos.

And you only have .1 MP on her.

Bill16

Not me, I just got my D3100 recently. Lol :) But maybe it's your wife's eyes that is showing you a new more exciting view. Maybe try to see things through your camera as if this photo thing is all new to you again. :)
And welcome to nikonites! :D

alfaholic

Banned
No, no, all photos are taken by me, I am "playing" with both cameras and I noticed this by using both cameras for a while. :) My wife is talented, maybe more than me, but this is all my work.
As for processing, I am doing exactly the same what camera does when creates JPG's, sharpen a little bit, maybe some contrast, and noise reduction, nothing special.
But I am not talking about color correction, and processing, it is more like P310 has already "integraded vigneting", ND filter, wide lens distortion, macro, and somehow it looks more interesting to my eyes, my wife says the same. :)

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

Typically, a DSLR has the potential to perform better than a similar P&S, but it must be used properly, with talent to back it up to fulfill that potential. You have to work harder to get the full potential out of the DSLR than you do to get the most from the P&S. Once you reach the full limit of the P&S, you should still have more capability in the DSLR and your results should show it. By saying the D7000 files are technically better, I believe this to be the case.

If it bothers you to not have JPEG files, you can change the D7000 to provide JPEG files instead of, or in addition to, the NEF (RAW) files.

I suggest you let someone you know take the same shots with both cameras, process them to remove any identifying information, and view them side-by-side. If you can consistently pick which camera a photo was taken with, you have an issue. If not, you have two good cameras.

WM

alfaholic

Banned
English is not my native, and this maybe sounds just too serious. :)
I am just thinking loud... :)

I feel the same, it is easier to make a nice photo with compact camera, it does many nice things for you right in the box, vigneting for example, while DSLR can do much more but you need to take the right steps to make it possible.

This is my D7000 with 18-105 VR...

_BBA2799.jpg_BBA2912.jpg

And this is our P310:

DSCN1480.jpg

​There is no doubt about quality and capabilities, just something interesting right out of the box...

Rick M

A couple months ago I picked up a Canon G15, it's a great little P&S that shoots RAW, 1.8 lens and shoots great right out of the gate. I use it for "snapshots" and occasions/places I don't want to use an Fx DSLR. It excels at snapshots but does not compare to a well thought out/executed shot from my D600. The key for me is that with the D600, I'm trying for more than just a snapshot and the results are subject to my mistakes. I have lower expectations from my G15, so I am more easily impressed with the fact that it gets it right most of the time.

alfaholic

Banned
A couple months ago I picked up a Canon G15, it's a great little P&S that shoots RAW, 1.8 lens and shoots great right out of the gate. I use it for "snapshots" and occasions/places I don't want to use an Fx DSLR. It excels at snapshots but does not compare to a well thought out/executed shot from my D600. The key for me is that with the D600, I'm trying for more than just a snapshot and the results are subject to my mistakes. I have lower expectations from my G15, so I am more easily impressed with the fact that it gets it right most of the time.

This is exactly what I was thinking, thank you. :)

WhiteLight

Do you shoot RAW?
THat could be one of the reasons... cos your DSLR is giving you the raw materials in a recipe..
you still need to cook it :)

THe P&S is like fast food.. everything is ready to go!

So there could be the difference

Bill16

I love this explanation! Lol Awesome my friend! :D
Do you shoot RAW?
THat could be one of the reasons... cos your DSLR is giving you the raw materials in a recipe..
you still need to cook it :)

THe P&S is like fast food.. everything is ready to go!

So there could be the difference

alfaholic

Banned
Yes, I shoot RAW. :)

I am a beginner in a way, but not so much at the beginning so I understand RAW and how it looks and what it needs to be a finished product. Although answer to my questions has that "fast food" analogy, I think I like the lens distortion of the P310, it is technically incorrect but somehow compelling to my eyes, also ability to cheaply make some macro photos.

Just to be clear, if I have to live only with that I would be very sad without my gear, but you are right, DSLR needs to be pushed hard forward to get the best of it, also we all have high expectations of our gear and we think too much, while using compact camera is without that need to prove ourselves something. :)

Last edited:
My wife and I were recently taking a cave tour. I carried my D5100 and she had her iPhone. There was one place that was pure eye candy so I shot the picture. I did not realize then but my wife shot the exact same scene with her iPhone. WE got home and I s[end hours in post with my shots and then posted the best on Facebook and my wife used her phone to upload her picture. Hers put mine to shame.

Would I give up my D5100 for my iPhone? Never, because most of the time mine are light years better than hers.

Somersetscott

It is immense what is happening in technology, I swear blind I got very similar results with my Nikon J1 as I do with my D7000 - but the J1 was so much easier :)
But, I didn't have the reach, or setting options..

While we are on the Iphone subject, my girlfriend takes snaps on the iphone 4 - some good some bad - Pimps them in Instagram and valla! shes got a really interesting internet pic for facebook - not really printable though.

And, what do you think of this? BBC News - Nokia's Lumia 1020 features 41 megapixel camera

Could be a pile of.. or could be my next upgrade!