Hello from the NorthEast ( USA )

MPSanSouci

Hello to All!

Let me begin by saying that I’m not new to photography, but I am new to this forum and Nikon DSLRs.

About me ..

I started out a long time ago .. back in 1987 with a Minolta X-700 MPS and a Kiron 70-210mm lens. How I loved that 70/210. That lens hardly ever came of the camera!! I also had a Kiron 2x teleconverter, a Kiron 28-70mm along with a Sigma 600mm lens.

I did a lot of the basic flower shots .. both full frame and macro .. beach shots with friends and big sail boats when they happen to pass through. But my ultimate please was nighttime photography. I grew into enjoying that time of day the most working only with the light that was available. I use to shot a lot of runway pictures as well at open train yard shots. Fireworks shows did not excite me that much, but I did have my share of them as well. Nothing professional .. just all amateur shooting and enjoying every minute!

As I got older, photography began to take a back seat to a lot of the usual, everyday hustle and bustle. Work went from night-shift ( 11:00 pm – 8:30 am ) to a regular day-time job ( 7:00 am – 4:30 pm ). I could not stay up long enough to get my desired night-time sky, so my type of photography came to an end! :(

Been married .. had a son .. divorced and re-married. Still have a day-time job ( 6:00 am – 3:00 pm ), but photography came back knocking at my door!

The Mrs. has a Kodak EasyShare Z7590 that we used for quite some time. That camera took us both through a lot of experiences and memories. Recently, for some reason, it did not seem to satisfy me any longer; I wanted something more. I began reading a lot of photography articles on the web and, of course, the night-time shots were the articles that I was drawn to the most.

Long story short, after a lot of research and comparing reviews, back in February I bit the bullet. I bought a Nikon D5200 with the 18-55mm lens. Remembering the fun and joy I had with the Kiron 70-210mm, I also purchase the Nikon 70-300mm.

I recently took my honeymoon, 9 years later, and took the Nikon along for the trip. Haven’t gotten back to the night-time shots, but I am slowly working on it. I love the Nikon’s ability for “Aperture-priority” and the lenses “Vibration Reduction” feature. My hands are not as steady as they once were .. back in ’87 .. so the vibration reduction feature really helps. Starting to get back into the swing of things .. looking at things differently and taking shots without giving it a second thought.

The ability of being able to see your shot almost instantly and having the ability to record the camera’s exact settings at the time off the shot is great. I use to write everything down in a pad and then wait for the film to be developed before I could see what settings worked the best.

The only down side of the Nikon purchase .. now the Mrs. wants me to buy her one as well!!!! ::what::

I have joined the Nikonites site to learn more .. share my experiences and knowledge and hopefully make a lot of new friends. It took me a while to find a forum that was active, but this one looks like it will be a fun time for all!!

Michael
fi8p.jpg

Attachments

• i5em.jpg
    i5em.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 63

Whiskeyman

The only down side of the Nikon purchase .. now the Mrs. wants me to buy her one as well!!!! ::what::

Michael

Welcome, to nikonites.com, Michael.

Were I you, I'd buy her a D800 and a few good lenses, and then hope that she'll let you borrow them. In the worst case, if they get too heavy for her to lug around, she'll have you carry them for her. :cool:
WM