Nikor 70-300 vs kit 18-105 for air show display Royal Air Tatoo.

Vsteel

Looking forward to taking the D7000 to the Royal Air Tattoo tomorrow.
I want to travel light and cant decide on my kit 18-105 lens with VR, or my cheaper but greater reach 70-300 f4-5.6 AF lens.(Both are Nikon Lenses)
Its going to be a sunny, bright day so shutter speeds should more than cope with the lack of VR on the bigger lens.
If you guys had to choose just one lens to take. Which would you choose ??
Many Thanks in advance for your input.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Take both! Stick the 70-300 on the camera and the 18-105 in a bag or jacket pocket. The one you won't take with you probably is the one you'll miss. :)

Rick M

I agree with Marcel, may need both. You may come across some interesting subjects on the ground and need the wide end of the 18-105. Might want to consider a circular polarizer as well, will cut reflections off the metal/glass assuming you have enough shutter speed.

Vsteel

Your points are well taken, but I really dont want to lump to much around.
As a compromise, taking Rick M's point,
I could always go for the good old prime 50mm lens in the pocket, and the 70-200 on the camera.
What do you think ??

Rick M

I've only been to a few shows, but they have all had large planes on the ground. 50mm is not very wide on a Dx camera. I tend to travel with two lenses ( my 18-35 and 70-200) with one in a lens case on my belt. Doesn't get in the way and holds a lens while changing. Great investment for only $15-$20.