Lens Manufactures

SFC

As my research is on going, looking for the best lens for least amount of $$$.

I was curious to a couple different lenses by Polaroid and Vivitar
The Polaroid Lenses have real good prices, but mainly concerned about the quality of the lens. Every time I think Polaroid, it reminds me the Polaroid Cameras.

The Vivitar been around for many years, although I have never cared for their tripods and accessories seemed like they were like tanks. I have to take into consideration I did buy my Vivitar Tripod in 1970 the selection was far and few in between.

Bill16

FWIW, Vivitar is not the old Vivitar, the company has been sold a couple of times. The current owner Sakar did not buy the bankrupt company, just the name, which is Chinese imports now. Polaroid is not much different, after their bankruptcy. Sakar now has some interest in their name: Polaroid cameras back from the dead (again) after deal with Vivitar-owner Sakar

OK I just gotta ask. Do you mean these brands are not worth buying? I haven't bought any since I couldn't see why they were so inexpensive for brand new lenses, that other brands charge an arm and a leg for.
So what's the verdict? :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod

I was curious to a couple different lenses by Polaroid and Vivitar
The Polaroid Lenses have real good prices, but mainly concerned about the quality of the lens. Every time I think Polaroid, it reminds me the Polaroid Cameras.

The Vivitar been around for many years, although I have never cared for their tripods and accessories seemed like they were like tanks. I have to take into consideration I did buy my Vivitar Tripod in 1970 the selection was far and few in between.

Polaroid, vivitar, Rokinon, many of these may have different names but are manufactured by the same company and are the same lenses. Just different distributors.
The main reason these lenses are much less expensive is that they don't have auto-focus. To be able to built a servo-motor coupled with camera's auto-focus software and sensor costs money so this is where these companies save.

I have a Rokinon 85mm 1.4 and it is a great sharp lens. Paid around 500$ including import taxes so it's still 1,000$ less than the Nikkor. But, for it to be used successfully, I had to buy replacement focusing screens on my D700 and 7000. The DOF is so thin at 1.4.

Horoscope Fish

Aren't we all.

About Vivitar:

Vivitar never manufactured their own lenses, never ever. Based originally in Los Angeles, CA Vivitar hired lens designers from all over the world to make glass under the "Series 1" moniker for them. Vivitar did release some really good glass, though. The odd thing is that Vivitar would bid out the contract for their lenses to different manufacturers on a regular basis in an effort to keep costs down; so any particular Vivitar lens could have been made by any particular manufacturer depending on *when* it was made.

I guess I just felt compelled to pass that along.

jwstl

Polaroid, vivitar, Rokinon, many of these may have different names but are manufactured by the same company and are the same lenses. Just different distributors.

They are made by Korean company Samyang and the lenses are pretty darn good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SFC

The one name I try my best to stay away from as much as possible is anything made in Communist China :mad-new:, Japan, Korea I would be able to use. It would rather be like me sitting down and drinking Pyatizvyozdnaya (Пятизвёздная
Vodka with the Russians:cold:, and that will never happen either:shame:. I will stay with Nikon USA or Sigma for now. Sigma is a USA product, although just:welcoming:recently made some changes to development in Cologne, Germany. This does not bother me, as I was stationed not to far from Cologne, Germany

singlerosa_RIP

You get what you pay for. Stay with top tier brands if you can. The body is secondary to the glass. You can find great values in the used and refurbed market on Craigslist, eBay & e-tailers like B&H and Adorama. Do your research. Google and YouTube are your friends.

Good luck. Jim

jwstl

The body is secondary to the glass.

That's not as true anymore now that cameras are digital and not film based. In the film days it was true because all bodies were able to use the same film. In digital, not everything is equal because of the difference in sensors. You can get more dynamic range, better noise, more resolution etc. from one body over another. I'd rather have a mediocre lens on a D800 than a great lens on a D3000. Of course, if all you do is shoot for 4x6 prints or the web then it doesn't make much difference which lens or body you use. Having said that, I'd still buy the best lenses for my needs regardless of brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

riverside

The one name I try my best to stay away from as much as possible is anything made in Communist China :mad-new:, Japan, Korea I would be able to use. It would rather be like me sitting down and drinking Pyatizvyozdnaya (Пятизвёздная
Vodka with the Russians:cold:, and that will never happen either:shame:. I will stay with Nikon USA or Sigma for now. Sigma is a USA product, although just:welcoming:recently made some changes to development in Cologne, Germany. This does not bother me, as I was stationed not to far from Cologne, Germany

Nikon USA kit lenses are manufactured by Nikon factories located in China and Thailand. Nikon USA is a distributor and warranty designation, nothing else. Nikon also produces many components for all of its camera bodies in Nikon China factories with final assembly taking place in Japan. Manufacturing is a global enterprise with focus on cost, quality and availability.

SFC

Nikon USA kit lenses are manufactured by Nikon factories located in China and Thailand. Nikon USA is a distributor and warranty designation, nothing else. Nikon also produces many components for all of its camera bodies in Nikon China factories with final assembly taking place in Japan. Manufacturing is a global enterprise with focus on cost, quality and availability.

Although, I was familiar with the process. Not a fan China as my first thought on any product. The main reason I like Nikon Lenses was because as a Professional for the DoD in the designing, developing of cameras and lenses from the ground up. I have always used Angenieux Lens Glass. A French company, now part of the Thales Group (a defence and aerospace conglomerate). They have always been involved in optics, designing and manufacturing lenses for the photo and movie cameras since the late thirties.

The 28-70 f:2.6 was Angenieux’s last consumer oriented zoom, designed for Nikon, Minolta and Nikon AF cameras. With a very wide aperture, an all-glass and all-metal construction, it was positioned to compete with the “pro” series zooms of the big three. The tests performed by the specialized press at that time showed that it was THAT good. Unfortunately, its price was also on par with the best of Nicanolta, which made it a tough sale beyond the small circle of admirers of French technology. When Angenieux decided to refocus on professional markets and stopped the production of its consumer oriented lenses, Tokina inherited the design, and their AT-X 287 Series – which was sold as recently as 2007, is a remote descendant of the Angenieux 28-70 AF.

This one reason I have decided to go with Tokina 80-400/4.5-5.6 AT-X 840 D Telephoto Zoom Lens, it is half the price of the Nikon/Nikkor Lens

riverside

Although, I was familiar with the process. Not a fan China as my first thought on any product. The main reason I like Nikon Lenses was because as a Professional for the DoD in the designing, developing of cameras and lenses from the ground up. I have always used Angenieux Lens Glass. A French company, now part of the Thales Group (a defence and aerospace conglomerate). They have always been involved in optics, designing and manufacturing lenses for the photo and movie cameras since the late thirties.

The 28-70 f:2.6 was Angenieux’s last consumer oriented zoom, designed for Nikon, Minolta and Nikon AF cameras. With a very wide aperture, an all-glass and all-metal construction, it was positioned to compete with the “pro” series zooms of the big three. The tests performed by the specialized press at that time showed that it was THAT good. Unfortunately, its price was also on par with the best of Nicanolta, which made it a tough sale beyond the small circle of admirers of French technology. When Angenieux decided to refocus on professional markets and stopped the production of its consumer oriented lenses, Tokina inherited the design, and their AT-X 287 Series – which was sold as recently as 2007, is a remote descendant of the Angenieux 28-70 AF.

This one reason I have decided to go with Tokina 80-400/4.5-5.6 AT-X 840 D Telephoto Zoom Lens, it is half the price of the Nikon/Nikkor Lens

Price and reviewed IQ was the reason I went with the Tamron 70-300 rather than Nikon's offering. I have no problem buying anything made in China by international companies noted for their technical expertise and some Chinese companies who also enjoy that reputation. Those factories (in China) produce the same degree of quality control employed at say Nikon or Hoya factories in Thailand, the Philippines or Japan. It's all about labor in cost of goods sold and onsite operating costs.

SFC

Price and reviewed IQ was the reason I went with the Tamron 70-300 rather than Nikon's offering. I have no problem buying anything made in China by international companies noted for their technical expertise and some Chinese companies who also enjoy that reputation. Those factories (in China) produce the same degree of quality control employed at say Nikon or Hoya factories in Thailand, the Philippines or Japan. It's all about labor in cost of goods sold and onsite operating costs.

Like your reply, however, when I see made in China it brings back memories from the times of the Vietnam Era. The North Vietnam Army (NVA) Viet Cong (VC) Chinese, Russians, some Laotians, and the Cambodians were there for North Vietnam. Sorry to me China is a Communist Country who would side with North Korea in a heartbeat. China to me is like Russia, they are the enemy and I just hate to support the cause of the Communist Red Dogs.