Routine maintenance

jesshopes

I've had my D80 for over 4 years. I know several photogs who have their cameras sent out regularly (yearly maybe) for "routine maintenance". I wonder...do many of you do this? I definitely think my camera doesn't always perform up to my expectations. I took it to a local shop over a year ago and asked about such a service...they kind of discouraged me.

So who has their camera "tuned up" once in a while? How much does it cost? Where do you send it?

​Thanks

WayneF

What would they do? Other than clean the sensor, which you could learn to do.

Is the camera giving any trouble? Have the troubles repaired, but otherwise, if it's working, I think you're good to go.

vindex1963

Set your camera to f/22 and 1/2 shutter at a distant object outside on a clear sunny day. Move your aim
to the clear blue sky and take a shot go in and look at the shot on your computer to see how the sensor looks
this will show all the spots. If it looks good to you than your golden if it's spotted but up to this point it hasn't bothered
you your still golden. Are you getting "ERR" on the display? Focus locks OK?
I've never sent any of mine in but have cleaned the sensors on them.

crashton

Unless I have an issue my cameras don't see the doctor. I clean my own sensors. If I was making a living with my camera then yes I would send them in periodically for a tune up.