Dx camera full frame.

donaldjledet

Question I have being a newbie is if you have a dx cacameras s looking for a second camera ,Why would you get a full frame and not another DX camera?

jwstl

Question I have being a newbie is if you have a dx cacameras s looking for a second camera ,Why would you get a full frame and not another DX camera?

I went from a DX D7000 to the FX D800 because:

I wanted the best sensor on the market
I wanted the latest technologies
I already owned a number of FX lenses, not just DX lenses
I don't shoot much at longer focal lengths so the extra "reach" of DX wasn't an advantage to me.

Mfrankfort

I went from DX to FX. Bigger is better. :) haha. I like the "extra" you get without the crop. Plus with the bigger sensor, you get better low light performance, since the sensor can get more light. If your shooting a lot of things where you zoom a lot.. like 200mm +... DX might be better because of the "reach". Landscapes or anything else where you want wide angle, or low light.. .FX is the way to go in my opinion.

Bill16

I think having one of each type seems like a great option. Then you have it all that they deliver at your fingertips. :)
But if your in love with dx and don't believe you'd have much need for the advantages the FX excel in. Then I would recommend another dx. :)

Kodiak

nikonpup: very reasonable thinking!

Hi Donald,

Your question being: If I have a DX camera, should a second camera be a DX or FX?

If want to learn photography and you do not have the ambition of publishing or being published,
If you own DX lenses already and none of the FX line,
Then, stay in DX!

The worse thing that can happen is to duplicate lenses because you have two formats.
For you, I suggest to expand your system, thus your possibilities, in the DX format:
telelens, wider lens, even macro, anything you want… but in one format.

I teach my sons the same principles but for them, the format will be FX because ALL
my gear is in FX.

The worse thing that can happen is to duplicate lenses because you have two formats.

Vbrg,

Last edited:

Bill16

My friend Kodiak is likely right. My own lenses are varied and older types, so my own wish for D800 maybe from a different point of view than yours, since you have a much better dx camera than mine. :)

Kodiak

RE: post #3

I like the "extra" you get without the crop.
This is true only if you have a bigger pixel count!

with the bigger sensor, you get better low light performance
This is true only if you have a smaller pixel count!

The only absolute is relativity!

pedroj

The decision is yours....When buying extra lens buy lens that can be used on each system, just in case you add an FX to your photography...

donaldjledet

Well thanks guys for the replies. Yea as of now I have one dx glass,one fx glass.My dx is the 35mm 1.8 fx is the 70-300 4.5-5.6.

So if i understand right the dx glass will work in low light and up. I'm mostly shooting my grand kids, horse racing, and some wildlife.
and some city stuff. So there is ready no need to go fx. cause the dx will get me what i want which is sharp and vivid color photos.

Rick M

A lot of good advice already!

I switched from the D5100 to the D600 last year and I'm very pleased with the change;however, I did take a hit trading my Dx glass. Pixel density is much lower in Fx (with the exception of the D800) resulting in better low light performance and less noise at comparable ISO settings. You need to look at the pixel density when comparing the two formats. The Fx sensor is about 2.4 times larger than Dx, so if both have 24mp, the Fx sensor is much less dense which should translate into better low light performance.

In analyzing my own shots at 100%, I could see noticeable differences between my Dx and Fx bodies. As mentioned, it really depends on what you're going to do with the images and your ultimate photographic goals. I knew going Fx would gnaw at me until I made the change.

Now I have all Fx glass, I have been thinking of picking up a 24mp Dx body for the crop factor. The D600 cropped is only about 10.6 mp. This may double the usefulness of all my lenses and give me a bit more perceived "reach".

Last edited:

donaldjledet

So far what I'm doing right now. My next two nikkor glass would be the 18-105mm 3.5-5.6 and a wide angle say the nikkor 10-24 3.5 or something like the 16-85 3.5
Again thanks for the feedback.