When is it time to buy pocketwizards.

stuartm

I have been experimenting with my d7000 and sb600 for some time doing "inanimate objects", now i have just purchased another sb600 and a set of cheap softboxes for them for doing outside shooting of people as im slowly getting more comfortable with shooting people.

Im wondering when do you stop using the commander and buy real transmitters and receivers, i have only had a few issues with the commander setup mostly with odd angles or interference from bright lights and other things. However i assume at some point people move on, or is mostly the case for studio shooting on large pro flash systems.

Mfrankfort

There are a lot of options for cheaper radio triggers. Pocket Wizards are pretty expensive, as I've been looking into alternatives. Pixel makes some good options, and the Youngnuo stuff seems to be pretty legit and people seem to like them.

stuartm

i was reading the review of the new Yongnuo systems that support ittl but the reviews seamed mixed, some said that they worked well others seemed to have mixed results from one shot to another.

Kodiak

Hi Stuart,

For me, remote flash is a must in my work. So I needed a tool. A solution. And it shall
be a decision I will not regret but build the system trusting that when it is time to shoot,
all the guns will fire at the right time and power.

Many products on the market are offering many solutions. At the time, these little devils
seemed to be the right tools and the right solution in my book.

I was not proven wrong yet! …and believe me, I've beaten the hell out of them!

Vbrg,

carguy

There are a lot of options for cheaper radio triggers. Pocket Wizards are pretty expensive, as I've been looking into alternatives. Pixel makes some good options, and the Youngnuo stuff seems to be pretty legit and people seem to like them.

Have you considered cybersync triggers?

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

stuartm

so if i understand correctly the only advantage to dropping a lot more money on real PW's is that the Ittl functions still work if im running nikon flashes in auto. If i run something like the Yongnuo system i have to run the camera in manual all the time and set the flash manualy as well. Is that correct or am i way off still.

carguy

so if i understand correctly the only advantage to dropping a lot more money on real PW's is that the Ittl functions still work if im running nikon flashes in auto. If i run something like the Yongnuo system i have to run the camera in manual all the time and set the flash manualy as well. Is that correct or am i way off still.

Almost. Pocketwizard Plus 3 & X Do not support TTL. You buy pocketwizards for consistency, reliability and compatibility with light systems & meters.

If you want remote TTL you'll need the more expensive PW units available.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3