Missing images from SD card

m_evangelista

Hello, I am new here, and have a strange issue. I'm hoping for advice and/or empathy.

I have a Nikon d40 which I have used regularly for at least 3 years. I use an Eye-Fi wireless card, which has been in the camera and served me very well for almost as long. But this week, I took some very special photos of visiting family and upon returning home, 80+ images have simply vanished.

By that I mean:
_ photos from the day before are fine, as are images from the same day, before and after the missing ones
_ the battery was running low but the camera was still shooting, photos were being taken and we could look back through them after taking the shots
_ nobody deleted the images
_ the last 80+ I took on the low battery are those that are missing, then I put in a new battery
_ upon copying from the camera's SD card, these images are simply not there
_ via wi-fi and putting the card in my computer, the image numbering skips about 80 images
_ recovery software (recuva, and others) find deleted images from the past 12 months or more, but not these

So, my question:

Is there a condition under which the camera would take the picture, show the picture, but then not actually keep the picture on the SD card? Could it be a corruption of memory?

The fact it skipped numbering shows me those images were there, but i have no idea where they may have gone. Any advice or suggestions appreciated, i would love to find these photos but as noted even recovery software does not find them on this card.

mikew_RIP

Absolutely daft idea but i think i read these cards can be set to upload and delete images immediately after,are you sure they where not uploaded to any adjacent wifi device.

mike

pedroj

I just tried my camera without a card in it and I can view the images but when it is turned off the files go...

Wondering if the card was full,

Mycenius

I just tried my camera without a card in it and I can view the images but when it is turned off the files go...

Wondering if the card was full,

Yep, I've seen this issue reported on other forums in the past... Most likely the memory card was full or faulty. Camera will still take photo & allow preview immediately afterwards, but it won't get saved to the SD card...

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

Horoscope Fish

Is there a condition under which the camera would take the picture, show the picture, but then not actually keep the picture on the SD card? Could it be a corruption of memory?
Sounds like your card was full. There is nothing, sadly, that prevents your camera from taking a shot and displaying the results on the LCD when your memory card is full. The image just doesn't get written to the card and hence is lost forever. This is why it's good to buy a card that is larger than you're going to actually need and too have an extra memory card, or cards, on hand. I don't really like to see my memory card getting too full, either... While I don't have a hard and fast rule about this once a card gets to about 80% of capacity, I start thinking about putting in a fresh card.

Further, I never store photos on a memory card longer than necessary and format my memory cards after every use, or just whenever I feel like I haven't done it in a while and can spare whatever happens to be on them, because frequent formatting prevents corruption.

Edit: Also, cross-posting is generally frowned upon.

Last edited: