Missing images from SD card:

m_evangelista

Hello, I am new here, and have a strange issue. I'm hoping for advice and/or empathy.

I have a Nikon d40 which I have used regularly for at least 3 years. I use an Eye-Fi wireless card, which has been in the camera and served me very well for almost as long. But this week, I took some very special photos of visiting family and upon returning home, 80+ images have simply vanished.

​By that I mean

m_evangelista

Hello, no the images do not seem to have been deleted ... recovery software finds photos deleted a year ago on this card, but not these.
that is what makes it so strange. You'd have to hit delete twice for each image, i'm pretty sure nobody hit my delete button 160 times accidentally.
The only mechanical idea i can think of relates to the battery. It was low but working fine, we were shooting and looking at our photos. Then we went to another spot, i changed my battery, and took more.
The images from the day before, and from after the battery change, are there and readable. The ones from that day, before i switched batteries, are all gone.

So it is as if, upon changing the battery, the images from that day were all removed... or had never been saved... see what i mean this is really bizarre.
Needless to say i put a new memory card in the camera but would sure like to identify that the SD card was in fact the blame, less this happens again with new memory just the same!

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Just a question more than an answer. Could the Eye-Fi card have found an open network it could have sent the files to while you were working where you were? How is your card set-up? Does it send pics automatically and then delete them from the card or do the files actually stay on the card?

I don't know since I don't work with Eye-Fi cards, but this I wonder about.

m_evangelista

As Kevin says, you have to pair an eye-fi w/ specific networks. And when they do copy on my home network, they are still on the card. The only thing I can think of is an issue with the card, when low on power. But knowing a little about SD memory and how it works that also makes no sense whatsoever. We scrolled back through the photos, so i know they were saved. Now my recovery software finds images deleted months ago, but not these. It is an mystery to me, to say the least.

m_evangelista

Nope. 1 sd card, nothing different than what i've used and done for years.

Seems like nobody's heard of this happening, as per my first post it is just weird, i can recover deleted images but these aren't among them. I suppose I didn't expect a solution but maybe gained some sympathy. Thanks.

Aeneas Williams

hey:beguiled:

Dont worry.RAW and digital photo can be easily recovered using tool called remo recover software.Try it. Because it helped me a lot.
​,:victorious::victorious:

stuartbroadre

Hi,
Am not sure. But try remo photo recovery tool. One of my friend used this utility and he recovered all his missing photos and other files from SD card. Give a try.
Thnks.

fotojack

Hello, no the images do not seem to have been deleted ... recovery software finds photos deleted a year ago on this card, but not these.
that is what makes it so strange. You'd have to hit delete twice for each image, i'm pretty sure nobody hit my delete button 160 times accidentally.
The only mechanical idea i can think of relates to the battery. It was low but working fine, we were shooting and looking at our photos. Then we went to another spot, i changed my battery, and took more.
The images from the day before, and from after the battery change, are there and readable. The ones from that day, before i switched batteries, are all gone.

So it is as if, upon changing the battery, the images from that day were all removed... or had never been saved... see what i mean this is really bizarre.
Needless to say i put a new memory card in the camera but would sure like to identify that the SD card was in fact the blame, less this happens again with new memory just the same!

This may seem like a silly question to you, but....did you by any chance leave the camera turned on while you changed batteries? That's been known to corrupt SD cards. CF cards, for that matter, too. Just throwin' it out there.