In the Box...

Lakeside Annie

It's been 2.5 years since I got my D3100, so I didn't remember until my co-worker (who just got his refurbished D3100 on 7/3) asked me today.

There is this object in the box (maybe two of them, one larger, one smaller) that, well, I'm not sure how to describe it. I'm at work now, but I may just have to get a picture after I get home. I could not find the object listed in the user's manual so I'm just :hopelessness:.

It looks like it may be two pieces that gets folded in half to make one cylindrical object. Maybe with magnets on one side? I haven't a clue what this is and I'm sure I threw it back in my box when I got my camera. My co-worker just asked me what the heck it was and I can't even google it, because I don't even know what it's called. :eyetwitch:

Anyone out there can give me a clue? If not, I'll try to post a shot of it/them tonight when I get home.

It is supposed to go on the USB cable that is used to transfer the pictures to the computer.

The "magnets" on both sides of the USB cable are actuallt toroids. These are used to supress (reduce) electromagnetic interference from the cable when connected. The camera, as an electronic device is regulated by the FCC here in the US and it must comply to emission regulation standards.
When a cable is attached to a device it acts like an antenna, hence radiates various electromagnetic frequencies. The torroids are placed on the cable to provide a "low impedance" path for these waves and converts the energy to heat, hence reducing the overall emmissions of the device.

AC016

Well, you learn something new everyday! Always wondered what that was on all the cables I have! Now I know :)

Kodiak

Hello Annie,

It looks like it may be two pieces that gets folded in half to make one cylindrical object.​

This sounds like a attachment support to use when you connect and secure the connection
of your camera to a computer.

The second object is most likely the hot-shoe cover and contact protector.
I can't tell you more with the very few input you provide.

Vbrg,

Please visit the groups:

http://nikonites.com/groups/product-...#axzz2Yku2yynD
http://nikonites.com/groups/panoramas-virtual-reality/#axzz2Yku2yynD

ladytonya

It's the ferrite core. You only have to use it with a non-Nikon USB cable, at least that's what my user's manual says. In the quick start guide, there was a list of items that were in the box and the cores were listed on that list. Personally, I wish the dang thing just came with a USB cable!

Horoscope Fish

It's the ferrite core. You only have to use it with a non-Nikon USB cable, at least that's what my user's manual says.
Yup...

ferrite1.jpg

Lots of cables come with them but sometimes you get spiffed with an optional core.