Fireworks picture questions...

Jet Jockey

New to the D7000...

I have a 10-24mm lens and a 28-300mm lens with this camera.

I also bought the ML-L3 remote and tonight I'd like to go to one of the "Fourth" Fireworks here on Long Island to take some pictures.

I'd like to use the remote but I'm not sure in which mode is best to use it in...

Should I use only the "remote" setting on the dial mode or use the "Mirror up" setting on the dial mode?

TIA

Last edited:

MartinCornwall

The mirror up mode takes one press to move the mirror then a second press to open the shutter then a third press to close the shutter. Fireworks are long exposures so a bit of mirror slap in the first second in possibly the dark wont make much difference. When photographing fireworks the time goes by very quickly so I would just use the remote mode. Have the camera set to bulb mode so that you are in control of the exposure time. Open the shutter and decided when enough bursts are in the frame and close the shutter and repeat.

STM

Since you have a remote, I would suggest you set the shutter speed to B, place a black card over the lens and open the shutter and lock it open. I would suggest you use an ISO of about 200 and close the lens down to about f/11. Now, to take an exposure, I suggest you carefully remove the card from in front of the lens and leave it off until the fireworks stop, place it back over the lens and unlock the shutter. Check your first exposure and make any adjustments you need to to the aperture. I have used this little trick for decades and it works like a champ!

Jet Jockey

Thank you both for your answers...

I guess I should have asked the question in a different way but after experimenting in the room I figured it out...

I either have the choice of using the "Remote" or Mirror Up" setting. Originally I thought I could select the "Mirror Up" and that it would still allow me to use the "Remote" to take the pictures.

From my testing this is how it works...

With the camera set in "Manual" mode and the dial set to "Remote" whether I'm using the viewfinder or the live view function the remote triggers the mirror to go up at the first selection and at the second selection of the remote the shutter opens and stays open until the pre-selected time as elapsed.

With the camera set in "Manual" mode and the dial set to "Mirror UP", again whether I'm using the view finder or the live view function, I have to trigger the mirror to the up position myself by using the normal shutter release once and them open the shutter by depressing it again. The shutter will close when the pre-selected time as elapsed. The remote will not function in this mode.

I plan on using the camera in "Manual" mode with an ISO set at 100. The F stop will be set between F10 and F14 with the elapsed time between 2 and 3 seconds for the exposures.

fotojack

Ummm....about that last part of your paragraph.....Manual Mode, ISO 100, F stop 5.6, and shutter speed 2 seconds. Try that instead. :)

ladytonya

Well, I found this thread by using search but I have yet to find a FAQ section on here. If you're gonna give a smart aleck response could you provide a link?

I'm getting ready to try shooting some fireworks if this baseball game will ever end! I have my ISO set at 100, f-stop at 5.6, and I hope I have the shutter speed at 2 seconds. Not 100% sure what setting is the shutter speed, hoping it's the 1/? next to F. Searching the forums for answers in Tapatalk ain't easy! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael J.

Well, I found this thread by using search but I have yet to find a FAQ section on here. If you're gonna give a smart aleck response could you provide a link?

FAQ.jpg

ladytonya

Wow, pretty screen shot! Too bad it's the full version and not from Tapatalk. You even read my message?

Michael J.

Still doesn't work in Tapatalk but thanks anyway. Is there a way to get to the FAQs in the app?

I tried Tapatalk but so far I couldn't find a way to go directly into the app - It just opens an extern browser.

I will try again

Krs_2007

Tonya, what are you running tapatalk on. My ipad shows a search button at the bottom and works fine. My iPhone shows the same. As the below from my ipad

Kevin,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

ladytonya

I was on my iPhone at the time. I had the search function, that's how I found this thread. I just couldn't find the FAQ that the other poster was referring to. Now that I'm home I looked at it on my laptop. I thought the person who responded to use the FAQs meant there was one about photographing fireworks, no such luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD