Hello from a photography newb!

ladytonya

Well, as you can see from my user name, I am Tonya and I am from Asheville, NC. I just got my very first DSLR camera last Friday and after months of research and deliberation, I decided on the Nikon D3100. Best Buy was running a pretty good deal on the camera with two lenses, both are Nikkor and one is 18-55mm and one is 55-200mm.

Over the weekend, I was at some MLB games (go Braves!) and took a TON of pictures, over 500 to be exact. LOL! I experimented with both lenses and with various setting, but mostly let the Guide feature help me. The main reason I chose the Nikon was for the Guide feature, it seems like it will do a lot to teach this newb about the various settings on this camera. Of course, after using it for 3 days pretty much nonstop there are still buttons on the camera that I have no clue what they do, guess I need to get back to reading that user's manual.

Hope to get to know some of you around here as I learn my way around this camera specifically and around photography in general. I've always enjoyed photography but have never had anything more than cheap little point and shoots. In fact, for about the last 3 years I have only had my iPhone to rely on for taking pictures as it took better pictures than most other cheap cameras I tried. Last weekend, it was nice to be able to play around with the new toy and actually get some decent photos of some of my favorite players using the zoom lens and of a gorgeous stadium! Here are a few examples of what I captured.... Thanks for listening to me ramble and I look forward to learning more about this fun new hobby that I now have!
DSC_0013.jpgDSC_0087.jpg

Deezey

Welcome to Nikonites!

We have a good group of people here. Congratulations on the D3100. Pretty soon would will have it all figured out.

That second shot by the way is very nice.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

ladytonya

Thanks, WileyCoyote and Deezey! It seems like a pretty cool place to hang out. Deezey, I posted that one because it is my favorite of all the ones I took of the weekend. My husband says I'm obsessed with sunsets and clouds. LOL! Maybe I am, but they can take some gorgeous photographs! This was using the 55-200mm lens on the landscape setting. I was also playing around with ISO and can't remember if this was on 100 or auto. Anyway, thanks for the welcome!

ladytonya

Thanks, all! Haven't had much chance to read around the forum today but what I have read I have enjoyed. Unfortunately I didn't get to take fireworks pics because we have way too much rain. Ugh! Hopefully tomorrow night because I want to play with shutter speeds!

donaldjledet

Welcome here to nikonites. I see you are a braves fan. Did you go for the chipper jones night ?
Also you will learn a lot around here.I'm learning stuff everyday from this site.

ladytonya

Thanks for the welcome! Donald, here is the answer to your question. :)

DSC_0059.jpgDSC_0060.jpg

Unfortunately, the railing was in my way but I still think that's a pretty sweet pic!