Hello from Minnesota!

Michael55345

Hi, I just joined the site and am looking forward to learning my way around and meet people. I'm ready to make the move up from a P&S to a DSLR and I'm close to buying the D7100. It looks like it has a lot of stuff I can grow into as I learn more about photography and move up from the auto mode (I really don't want to live in auto mode forever!). The only drawback to the D7100 for me is that it doesn't have an articulating viewfinder. I'll probably never use video so that isn't an issue but I thought the swiveling viewfinder would be really nice for difficult shots. Any thoughts on that? I really don't want to step down to the D5200 so I'm wondering if the articulating viewfinder is more of a gimmick, or something prone to breaking, than anything else and if I'm crazy to let it be a deal breaker.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

Welcome! I just went from the D5100 to the D7100. Never even thought of the articulating viewfinder. I think I've only used that twice.

AC016

I had a D5100 before and I used the articulating screen quite a bit. Comes in handy if you are going to put your camera on the ground or near to the ground, to take photos. Great for doing family shots to - you can see right away if your photo is framed right. Also, very good to use when you are wanting to take shots over peoples heads. I have never heard of anyone breaking it. It is pretty durable. I have had a Canon Elura 100 for over 6 years now and it has travelled the world. The screen is still attached. Not a gimmick if you ask me.

RockyNH_RIP

Hi, I just joined the site and am looking forward to learning my way around and meet people. I'm ready to make the move up from a P&S to a DSLR and I'm close to buying the D7100. It looks like it has a lot of stuff I can grow into as I learn more about photography and move up from the auto mode (I really don't want to live in auto mode forever!). The only drawback to the D7100 for me is that it doesn't have an articulating viewfinder. I'll probably never use video so that isn't an issue but I thought the swiveling viewfinder would be really nice for difficult shots. Any thoughts on that? I really don't want to step down to the D5200 so I'm wondering if the articulating viewfinder is more of a gimmick, or something prone to breaking, than anything else and if I'm crazy to let it be a deal breaker.

I have the 5100 and 7100. I used it sparingly (artic view) for shots say near ground or over head.. When I upgraded to the 7100, I never gave it a 2nd thought, the feature is nice but NOT worth holding your breath for or getting a lower camera!

Get the 7100 if it is for you, other ways to deal with the few out of the way shots!!

Oh, Hello and Welcome to Nikonites!

Pat in NH

Deezey

Welcome to the forum. The flip out screen shouldn't be a deal breaker. While it does come in handy at times......it is not like you will use it all the time. Also....if the D7100 had the screen, you would lose all the buttons that make everything quick to get to.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to the forum. The flip out screen shouldn't be a deal breaker. While it does come in handy at times......it is not like you will use it all the time. Also....if the D7100 had the screen, you would lose all the buttons that make everything quick to get to.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Is that why the buttons are there??

AC016

If you look at a D5000, the screen folded out downwards and the buttons were at the side, like they are on the D7100. On the 5100, most of those buttons were moved near to the Ok button. Therefore, it is very possible to have the same kind of screen on the D7100. Mind you, I think Nikon is going to keep this feature on the 5000 series.

Deezey

Camera makers are switching to the flip out, not down. On a flip out like the D5200 there are no buttons on the side. And while they may relocate some of the buttons....it adds to the clutter to just the one side of the camera.

AC016

Camera makers are switching to the flip out, not down. On a flip out like the D5200 there are no buttons on the side. And while they may relocate some of the buttons....it adds to the clutter to just the one side of the camera.

There are quite a few compact and mirrorless systems that have LCDs that flip up and flip out and down at an angle. I don't believe that there is a universal standard. Each to their own.

Mycenius

Welcome Michael - from New Zealand. :D

The only drawback to the D7100 for me is that it doesn't have an articulating viewfinder.

For this you can always just add something like a DR-5 or DR-6:

4752_DR-5-Rectangular-Right-Angle-Finder_front.png

I think there are after-market versions where the right angle isn't fixed...?