D7000 as a first dslr?

angelxx

I love taking photos and would like to upgrade from my basic compact camera to a dslr. Ive seen the nikon d7000 what is that like for an amateur like me?

sent from my lush note 2

Fred Kingston

It's the best of all worlds. The D7000 is fully automatic and will produce superb results simply acting as a point-and-shoot camera that you're used to... As you become more proficient, and explore all its features and controls.... you can assume as much control over the photography process as you want...

evan447

the d7000 is a great camera, however it requires good technique and understanding of nikon dslr systems.
some people upgrade to a better camera and expect better results immediately, then blame the camera when they fail to do this.
its auto modes are fine. its af system is where new users get caught out.
if you have a competent grounding in photography you will love it. if you are only prepared to point and shoot then it may be as well to get a lesser, simpler model like a d5100/d5200 or stick with a compact.
​(i have a pair of gripped d7000s and love them)!

nickt

How into photography do you want to get? The d7000 is a great camera, but it will take a bit of commitment and learning to get the full benefit from it. If you are happy to keep it in auto or scene mode, you might be better off with something lower in price.

Models like d3100, d3200, d5100, d5200 are more menu driven. To change many of the settings on these you need to get into the menus. On the d7000, you have direct access to many functions so you can quickly change settings as you shoot. This does you no good though if you forget what the buttons do. So if you will use your camera often and get 100% comfortable with it, the d7000 is a great camera. If it will sit around for weeks at a time and come out for special occasions, then I think the more menu driven cameras are easier to find your way around.

The d7000 has a top lcd display that is very nice to instantly see what your most important settings are. Also front and rear command wheels which is nice for quicker shutter/aperture changes as well as other settings. It also has a focus motor which lets you use certain older lenses that the other cameras I mentioned can not easily use.

So think about where you want to go with this and what you want from your upgrade. Try to look at a d7000 and a d3x00 or d5x00 in person and see how they feel. Download the manuals. Both styles are very good cameras, but with different user interfaces.

MelodyTregear

It is a beautiful camera. Something I've learnt though... No matter how good a camera you have, you have to know what you doing. Post editing can do only so much. You can take a good shot and make it better, but you cannot make a bad photo good. So I agree with Nick. Decide where you want to go with your photography and make a decision once you know the answer to that question. The D7000 is, in my opinion, a commitment to photography ;)

If you really know that you want to work and study to make your photography great. Also you will need to invest the time into Post Processing .If you are willing to do all this then get the D7000. If you just want a good camera that will take great pictures and allow you to do almost everything the D7000 will then get the D5100 and use the savings to buy more lenses. The D5100 and the D7000 share the same sensor so image quality is the same.

Camera Fun

I got the D7000 as my first DSLR. For years I had a 35mm film camera and then a simple 4mp digital. I got the D7000 for several reasons including: more robust construction than some lower models, larger size felt better in my hands, uses SD cards, etc. I also wanted a new camera before the mp wars got out of hand.
There's a learning curve but I'm getting better. I'd suggest starting with Auto mode to familiarize yourself with the camera and then try other settings. I didn't get much out of P mode. I'm using Shutter priority now but have also recently started playing with the Aperture mode. I'm shooting jpeg; possibly someday I'll consider raw and post-processing. For me, I see the D7000 as something that will serve me for a long time.

crashton

I think the D7000 would make a fine first DSLR. Like has been said it can shoot auto if you like, plus it will do much more once you work your way into photography. You won't outgrow the D7000 for a long time.

andybebbs

Just upgraded to a D7000 from a D3200 and think its a cracking camera but its a different beast to the 3200 as you can manually adjust everything where as the 3200 you could`nt, Don`t get me wrong the 3200 is a very nice camera and takes great shots and is a perfect camera to start off on your dslr journey.
Thanks
Andy

geraldsr

The Nikon D7000 is an awesome camera! If you purchase the Nikon D7000, I would suggest learning all you can on you-tube pertaining to the camera: also there are some great books on the Nikon D7000 at AMAZON.

IamTwone

Go for it the D7000 is a great camera. I waited years to upgrade always waiting for newest while learning on my G9. I have plenty of photographer friends that shoot canon but like my camera, and tell me they never honestly thought about going Nikon until they shot with my camera. I've had mines since Nov. shot a few parties did my 1st sweet 16 last week as the 2nd photographer. Have no regrets even though the D7100 came out. Will keep this camera even as backup if I ever go fullframe

Vincent

I want to change the tone (having done what you plan to do).

1) Look first at what photography you want to do.
2) What lens do you need for that? (for the range be careful with DX/FX equivalent)
3) Does that lens go well with the D5100/D5200 then that might be enough. Otherwise go for the D7000 if you do not need FX and go further.

You probably will spend most money on the lens, do not forget that!

Now all that said: I did buy the D7000 as first SLR, for the 39 points, 6fps and the AF capacities that are above the D5XXX range.
The D7000 is certainly a nice machine, less complicated then people seem to say it is, but it is more important it supports what you want to do!:p

kratos

I guess you must have already gone through the reviews and all the good points of this camera and I believe that since you have decided to buy a dslr, you are ready to go beyond auto mode.
This is my first dslr as well. I have not tried other dslrs except canon 60D, not even d3x00 or d5x00 but I can surely say that 2 command dials and many quick setting buttons on D7000 are a charm to work with.
There is one point that I specifically want to highlight from my personal experience. Since the kit lens and budget telephoto lenses do not have a large aperture, you will soon be seeking a prime lense like 50mm1.8D for low light shooting.
Cameras like D3x00 or D5x00 do not have built in motor so you will have to go for prime G lenses which are significantly costlier than the D lense. So the D7000 will save you some bucks at least in these cases and make its extra price over D5x00 justified.

TeddyBear

I love taking photos and would like to upgrade from my basic compact camera to a dslr. Ive seen the nikon d7000 what is that like for an amateur like me?

sent from my lush note 2
I was in similar situation as you and got D7000 as present. After 2 1/2 years of using it, I now want to upgrade but realized that D7000 is DX format where as D800 is FX format which means DX lens will not work on Full frame camera. So if you are serious about photography, and budget is no problem, I'd get D600 instead of D7000/D7100. Having said that, D7000 is Superb Camera. Never use automatic setting at first, just use manual setting and you will learn to use your camera much faster :) Photography can get very expensive tho...

kratos

I was in similar situation as you and got D7000 as present. After 2 1/2 years of using it, I now want to upgrade but realized that D7000 is DX format where as D800 is FX format which means DX lens will not work on Full frame camera.

Totally agree. You can think about FX models or buy lenses considering the possibility of future FX upgrade. Just to make things clear, I took the second approach. Bought D7000 with 18-105 kit lense which is a DX format (easy to sell as kit with camera later). But my other lenses, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and Tamron 70-300 DI VC both are FX lenses which work well on D7000 but with 1.5 crop factor. And the lense combination does not cause any focal length overlap.

Bukitimah

The fact that you ask about D7000 shows you have done your home work. Now you have received the blessing, it is time to take good pictures!