"Unplugged" Wedding

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I just read an interesting CNN article that states some couples are requesting an 'unplugged' wedding (asking guests to put away their cameras). Although I don't do weddings myself, I was wondering how wedding photographers handle the guests who distract the wedding party during the time you are trying to take photos? Please take a look at photo #5 on the link to see what I mean. And what is the most annoying problem you encounter while shooting a wedding?

Last edited:

Krs_2007

Don't shoot weddings, but I do shoot kids sports and this happens to me as we'll. someone will camp out in my way with there iPhone or P&S and try to take a picture. It cracks me up because if they would get of the way and wait 2 days then they can view mine. Oh yea, I do it for free which really blows me away as to why they even bother.

Oh we'll. I have others flash jack my pictures up doing other pictures, really annoying.

Kevin,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

piperbarb

I don't shoot weddings but I have played my bagpipe at more than my share of them. I find the "guest photographers" extremely annoying at times. On more than a few occasions, during the recessional, they will jump out of their seats and into the aisle, snapping away. Sometimes they refuse to move out of the way when I'm leading the recessional. I keep marching, they will give me dirty looks, but they finally do get out of the way. It's not photography, but they do distract others from the ceremony.

JudeIscariot

Some photographers have been specifically demanding it in their contracts. Others just do their best to get the right shots and avoid anybody else. Others have simply put in their contract that they're not responsible if they miss a shot because a guest gets in the way or ruins it somehow with their equipment.

I've done some weddings before (mostly family who begged - I hate weddings in general, even as just a guest). People DO get in the way. My cousin's first kiss doesn't exist as a photo because I was shooting in natural light and several people all at once started shooting with flashes with red-eye reduction on, so there was just constant auto-flashes. The one that ended up NOT being over-exposed (because I changed settings after the first few) still ended up having a harsh shadow behind and to the left because of people's flashes. It was terrible. Guests need to calm the hell down and let the person that the couple paid (or begged) to be there do their job.

If guests want to take photos, they should do so without a flash, and stay the hell out of a professional's way. That's what I've always done as a guest... I mean, wouldn't the people feel terrible in the end if they ended up ruining a family member or friend's wedding photos in some way?

Gbutterf

Working around people during a wedding shoot should be part of the professional adaptability that you should always carry, that and very thick skin.
During my last wedding my 2 week old camera lost its ability to show the menu ( I use this constantly ) I always carry a spare camera as well as strobe.
Some of my best shots have been taken from a distance using a long lens I really dislike the "formal" wedding shots though I always take some so the Mothers are happy!
I always accept a critic as occasionally they are correct.

BackdoorArts

We are the Instagram-Facebook-Twitter nation. The pervasiveness of sharing your current experience with the world has become of the uttermost importance to an entire generation of people that it is becoming nearly impossible to go to any event without having your view infected by smartphone screens. From weddings to concerts it's no longer about the moment, it's about letting the world know you're a part of that moment, which you're obviously missing because you're seeing it through this small screen. One of my favorite artists, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, has called folks out on this, and I love him for it.

I applaud couples for doing this, for the sake of their moment and not for any other reason. You're invited to share in their moment, not share your view with the rest of the world. I'm sure it makes the photographer's work that much easier as well, whether or not they demand it, but I hope it's meant more to preserve the sanctity of the occasion.

Like a coat-check in a restaurant I would love to see a cell-phone check service at weddings. Hmmm, maybe that's a kernel of an idea for a business venture. A dressed up set of drawers with individual keys. Guests come in, hand over their phones and get a key in exchange (makes them feel safer about leaving their precious behind). Then they exchange it back on the way out after the receiving line and before the bubbles.

Last edited:

Just-Clayton

My last wedding I did, I was shooting group shots in front of the church. People kept pushing me aside to get their shot. One lady almost knocked my camera to the ground. The bride saw this as I was about to say something. She told everyone to back up and that she is not paying them for the photos.

JudeIscariot

Working around people during a wedding shoot should be part of the professional adaptability that you should always carry, that and very thick skin.
I agree with this a lot. I mention here that it's a pain in the ass, but at any event, if there are other photographers there, I try to work around them and not let them get in their way. It'd be unprofessional to not be able to adapt to the situation and do my best.

And having had a run-in this past weekend with a guy that did the exact opposite (he kept asking me to stop shooting because he was the "official event photographer", even though I was there for the band, whom I am the photographer for). All in all, this guy just gets upset when other photographers show up (he claims we're all "in his way", but a guy who set up a few lights on the side of the building to shoot a few portraits can't be in his way?), as it turns out, because it makes him nervous and throws off his game... It was completely unprofessional and reiterated how important it is to try to work alongside other people - I would never want to act like that to anybody, even if they were in my way for some reason. Somehow me and the other guy there both managed to work around the "official photographer" without problems...