Adobe Photoshop CS3 NEF support (for D800)

Jeeves

Well, I dug on the internet and I downloaded and installed the RAW (I believe it was v4.3) plug-in for Photoshop CS3, yet Photoshop fails to open the file. I know that it's being recognized as both it and another plug-in (SuperPNG) are listed in Lightroom 4.

Can anyone confirm that this is or isn't supposed to work.

Thanks,
Mike

P.S. Nikon said just so long as I have the latest file from Adobe, it should work.

Dave_W

The Dude
CS4 is very old and I do not believe it will work with NEF's coming from cameras newer than CS4. Typically each new Photoshop comes with the next version of the RAW file engine. So I'm suspecting Nikon was referring to Adobe's latest files as in CS6.

If you can't do a newer PS then use ViewNX and convert the files to something like a DNG that all PS version will work with it.

STM

CS3 came out around 2007 (I think) and it is pretty dated as software goes. I am running CS5 Extended and though it opened a .NEF from a D800 (I took a couple of photo with one and my 85mm f/1.4 in the local Best Buy to check it out and saved it to one of my CF cards) without any problems, I honestly don't know if CS3 is up to date enough to work with it, plug ins or not. You might consider getting a much more up to date copy of PS or look into the lastest version of PS Elements.

Last edited: