tree and moon

mikeD3000

hi all, i am new to this site and would like some help improving my photography skills. This is a photo i have recently taken of a tree i found not too far away from where i live, let my know what your thoughts are and any help would be great :D

Lens 18-55 3.5-5.6 at f5.5 focal length 26mm ISO 100 for 8 seconds

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
It's a really nice image, I like it alot. The only critique I have is you've not "filled the frame" with your subject and have left too much head space above the tree. Try cropping it down to the top of the tree and see if it doesn't have more of an impact visually.
All in all, it's a beautiful night silhouette, thanks for sharing!

Dave_W

The Dude
That's nice. I was thinking of going a little tighter than that to give the overall composition a little more balance.

What do you think of this?

61f2535c-5b15-4452-8d3f-dcce859e7d1e.jpg

mikeD3000

Yeah i like it, its probably the kind of image i would take usually. I am a member of another site but when i post pictures with the main subject cut off they tend to not like them and tell me to keep the subject in the frame :/

Dave_W

The Dude
You should remind them of the Gestalt principle of photography and point out to them how an image that requires participation by the viewer is far more interesting than one that requires nothing of the viewer. Or in other words, don't always spoon feed your vision to your viewers. Leave something behind now and then.