Hot Pixels on my D300

Sphinx

I noticed recently that I have a cluster of about 9 pixels showing red. I contacted Nikon technical support who looked at some photos and confirmed they are 'hot' pixels and say I have to send the camera in for repair. My D300 is almost 5 years old so well out of warranty, and Nikon say they cannot give me even a ballpark figure that the repair will cost, although they will advise me of the cost before they do the repair.Adobe Camera Raw automatically gets rid of the red dot the hot pixels cause, so I do not know if to send it in for repair or just live with it. Has anyone else got this problem? Any advice anyone can give me would be much appreciated.

slowpoke

Hi,Sphinx.I went on line and found a couple of fixes for hot pixels.1 Was to have the camera clean its sensor.2 Set the camera on its highest ISO and take a couple pictures.Then shut the camera down.Restart camera and take some pictures to check.This works 7 out of 10 times.I got my fingers crossed for ya.

Sphinx

Hi slowpoke, that did not work unfortunately. I have tried a few tips in the same vein that I found online. Really annoying. Thanks for the tip though.

Dave_W

The Dude
Since you have an easy fix, I vote you live with it because the fix is a new sensor which will cost more than the camera is worth.

Sphinx

A new sensor is what I was scared of. Although, read online somewhere that sometimes Nikon remap the sensor (whatever that means) and charge about £80.

Dave_W

The Dude
I guess if it's bugging you enough you might as well roll the dice and send it it. Or perhaps use this as an excuse for a new camera...:rolleyes: