Frustrated beyond belief!!!

DuckyChickenLady

I can't edit my NEF files... I snapped a gazillion shots yesterday...and NOTHING is working. I have tried ALMOST everything... From what I can tell I have to buy Lightroom 5...or upgrade or something!! I shouldn't have to spend more money to be able to edit my pics...
My pics are showing as Nero Encrypted files...and I CAN"T open them. I have been at the computer for over 8 hours over the last day....ARGH...

Those are RAW files. You can set your camera to shoot JPEG FINE if you don't want RAW. you should be able to convert them with ViewNX2. That came with your camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

DuckyChickenLady

Those are RAW files. You can set your camera to shoot JPEG FINE if you don't want RAW. you should be able to convert them with ViewNX2. That came with your camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Ya...that's not happening.. I can't do a thing with the pics in View NX2---won't let me.
And they won't convert either because of the Nero Encrypted files... I don't know what to do.

I set my camera to JPEG Fine/raw for now...but I have a lot of shots in Raw from yesterday that I want to edit.

Dave_W

The Dude
I think the problem is your Nero program has attempted a coup. Try forcing ViewNX to open this program by right clicking on the file and scroll down to "Open With...". Also tell your finder to always use ViewNX instead of Nero.

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

You have a file-association problem created by Nero. The application wants control over all your media files, including digital images.

To correct this, do the following:

Right-click on any .NEF file.
In the menu click on "Open With".
Click on "Choose Default Program".
From the list that appears, choose the application you want to control that file type, like ViewNX or Photoshop or whatever. Make sure the little checkbox at the bottom that says, "Always use this application to open this type of file." is checked "ON".

nickt

I think she may have an association problem AND an outdated ViewNX. I would think even if Nero claimed the files they should display properly from within ViewNX.

fotojack

Nicely done, Fish. :) First thing I thought of after reading her post was a file association problem. I hope she reads your post on how to correct her problem.

DuckyChickenLady

You have a file-association problem created by Nero. The application wants control over all your media files, including digital images.

To correct this, do the following:

Right-click on any .NEF file.
In the menu click on "Open With".
Click on "Choose Default Program".
From the list that appears, choose the application you want to control that file type, like ViewNX or Photoshop or whatever. Make sure the little checkbox at the bottom that says, "Always use this application to open this type of file." is checked "ON".

Will try that...the View NX doesn't show as a choice in the Open with....

BackdoorArts

Do you still have the files on the memory card? How did you import them to your computer? Perhaps in the import Nero did some operation on them that got defined by some other import? I would simply copy the files from the memory card onto your disk and try opening them.

Oh, and btw, I believe the version of ViewNX2 that shipped with the D7100 may have been sitting around the warehouse for a while and may not have the support for the D7100. Crazy, I know, but no one throws things out when there's the ability to update it online. Check for updates as well.