Pierce County Sheriff's dept. evac training

John P

Leland maiden voyage.jpg

Leland maiden voyage-2.jpg

WhiteLight

Nice pics.
Did you also take some shots with a slightly longer shutter speed so you could see the movement of the blades?
Would've been fun to watch that too

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I agree with WhiteLight that it would have been great to see movement in the blades. Perhaps either panning with the helicopter or a tripod would have allowed a sharper image. It's neat seeing the action of the rescue! As the saying goes, those people must be a basket case. ;)

MrF

Nice vantage point! I've always found helicopters a little tough, since even with enough light to get a good blur on the main rotor without inducing camera shake to the rest of the photo, the higher speed of the tail rotor tends to wash it out completely.

That'd be my only suggestion for improvement in future shots: more motion blur in the blades. You're not helped here by the fact that this is a Huey. Rotor speed is somewhere in low 300 rpm range, IIRC. Compare that to a Bell 206 (the ubiquitous "news helicopter") with a main rotor speed in the high 300s, or little guys like a Schweizer 300 (mid to high 400s) or an R-22 (low 500s) and you can see where this guy can be a challenge. Other than that, nice shot!