how they got this shot? lighting help

byliz

Hey everyone!
im new here and well I was looking through some threads
but haven't found the answer to my question.
I want to learn to shoot at night with my d3100+kit lens
​shots will mostly be of the streets and people.
anyone have any tips on settings I could use?

also would like to know how this person achieved this particular shot.
http://maikebanger.deviantart.com/art/night-336404357

i
m guessing they used flash. should I get a flash and if so which one?
also what settings would have been used for this?

thanks and sorry for all of the questions!!

Welcome to the forum

If you fill out your profile we can better answer any questions that you might have.
You can do that at http://nikonites.com/profile.php?do=editprofile

Some useful links
http://support.nikonusa.com/app/ans.../nikon-product-manuals-available-for-download
Nikon | Imaging Products | Digitutor

Thanks

That could probably be done with the little built in flash that is on the D3100. It is not that great of a shot.

If you want a good flash that gives you lot of flexibility look at the SB700

N_Addy

also would like to know how this person achieved this particular shot.
night by ~maikebanger on deviantART
My first question would be, why?

Seriously, IMO the lighting is not that well done. It looks like a simple flash at camera left.

For these kind of posed shots you will definitely want a flash, and possibly more than one. Nikon's SBxxx series are good but there other 3rd party units that will work well too. You'll also need a few stands and some way to trigger. There are many options there. Your 3100 should operate in "commander" mode (I think they all do) so it can trigger a remote flash (or daisy chain of flashes). Nikon's website has many guides and tutorials on lighting available.

If you really want to get serious about lighting I strongly suggest you spend some time on The Strobist. Best lighting resource on the planet IMHO. Digital Photography School is another good source for information. Check their tutorials section. A fun reference I enjoyed is McNally's Hot-Shoe Diaries. He presents a lot of info and useful diagrams in a relatively short book.

There's a ton of other resources available (no telling how many books have been written on the subject) but any one of these would be a good starting point.

My first question would be, why?

Seriously, IMO the lighting is not that well done. It looks like a simple flash at camera left.

For these kind of posed shots you will definitely want a flash, and possibly more than one. Nikon's SBxxx series are good but there other 3rd party units that will work well too. You'll also need a few stands and some way to trigger. There are many options there. Your 3100 should operate in "commander" mode (I think they all do) so it can trigger a remote flash (or daisy chain of flashes). Nikon's website has many guides and tutorials on lighting available.

If you really want to get serious about lighting I strongly suggest you spend some time on The Strobist. Best lighting resource on the planet IMHO. Digital Photography School is another good source for information. Check their tutorials section. A fun reference I enjoyed is McNally's Hot-Shoe Diaries. He presents a lot of info and useful diagrams in a relatively short book.

There's a ton of other resources available (no telling how many books have been written on the subject) but any one of these would be a good starting point.

The D3100 and D5100 do NOT work in commander mode.. I wish they did.

Epoc

I seriously doubt the OP wants to do a full off camera flash setup while doing street photography. I suggest a SB700 on your D3100. Use flash compensation to dial the flash down. Try it at -1 and go from there. I often shoot on camera flash at -2 or more. Results are much more true to life. Way better than letting TTL blow the highlights.

N_Addy

Agreed. That's why I stated "For these kind of posed shots" (as opposed to street). It's difficult to tell with that image.