Need an honest opinion

mikeh32217

All my family and friends tell me I am a good photographer, but I still feel I'm an amateur. I have put many photos on Flickr but don't get many hits and even less people commenting, so what I need is an honest opinion so that I can grow.
The photos below are pretty indicative of my work, i.e. I mostly do landscape shots, with an occasional family wedding, graduation or other type event.

ISO: 200
35mm
f/9.0
1/20sec
Bartram Canoe Trail.jpg

Sunset over Little Talbot Island State Park.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

AC016

Here is my opinion: Don't gauge your capability by the number of hits you get or don't get, on Flikr. Flikr is a huge place and unfortunately, there will be many other people who produce the same level of work you do.
I like both your photos. I don't know how much post processing you have ever done to any of your pictures, but you may want to consider learning something like Photoshop in a serious manner.
For the first photo, you could have played around with a CPL to take the reflection off the water, just to see the effect it would have given you. You could have also taken multiple exposures and do some HDR to it, to bring out more of the dynamic range.
For the second photo, HDR would come in handy as well. There is a good article about it on photographylife.com about HDR.
I think all you need to do is pull the artist out of you, use some PP techniques and make your photos stand out more.

Dave_W

The Dude
I think these are gorgeous images and very well composed. There is nothing I would do to the second image, it looks like a keeper just as it is. But on the first image I would try pulling out more info in the shadows. Right now it just seems too dark to fully appreciate all that is packed in the image. All in all, I think you can believe your friends and family when they tell you they think you're a good photographer. Now it's time to push yourself and see just how deep you can go as an artist.

Btw, I moved your thread over to the Learning Photography section. I think it fits better over here since there's no rules as to how many photos you can post. The critique section is for an in depth analysis of a single image.

Last edited by a moderator:

N_Addy

I like 'em both. Most photography should either contain a subject or tell a story. Wide-angle landscape is a bit different. It can simply convey a feeling of being there. Your photos do just that.

And I totally agree with ACO16. Don't judge your skills by the number of comments you get. Asking for (and accepting) critique, as you've done here, is something we should all do more often.

BackdoorArts

What AC016 said. Don't gauge your photography skills by who does and doesn't pay attention to you on Flickr. It's a cliquey group of folks and it seems you need to spend a lot of time kissing others' butts to get a little attention, while posting your photos on as many "Post 1 like 3 award 2" groups as you can hoping to garner praise that, once you've gotten it, you're never entirely sure of how genuine it might be. I struggled with that idea early on with some birding shots and decided it was more frustrating than anything and decided that it actually stole some of the joy of shooting the photos. Now, I shoot for myself, and whenever someone decides they like my photos then it's a bonus. I think if we are honest critics of our own work we really know when something is good, and when something is great - and when something should be great but we can't quite get it there.

I think that last category is where many photographers are - they can take better than decent photos but don't know enough to make them stand out among many very similar photos that seem to "pop" on sites like Flickr or 500px. Looking at your photos that's what I see. Well composed, interesting enough subject matter, but nothing that makes them stand out. Learning how to "print" your photos is as important as learning how to shoot. It's not easy, and many pros find that they either don't have the time or ability to do it and hire people to do that work for them (Scott Kelby, a Photoshop guru, does just that with his own work - at least that's what he implied at the seminar I was at when he introduced his assistant).

Specifically, your river shot could benefit from some Rule of Thirds work, bringing the shoreline on the right side down, and then a whole lot of tweaking with the lighting to get a little more clarity among all those branches (Clarity, Shadow & Highlight sliders in Lightroom are your friends here). The sunset has great composition, but just needs some pop. Again, just some definition in the right places, adjustments to contrast and saturation, lightening here, darkening there. Not a lot, and not nearly as much as the first. It stands well on its own, but if you want it noticed then it needs to have a bit more wow. Regardless, it's a great photograph.

All great photographers are/have great printers and extract the best from their photos. Ansel Adams was as brilliant in the darkroom as he was behind the lens. "Magic" rarely arrives fully formed from the camera, but at least in the digital age you can sit on the deck with a laptop and a drink instead of in the basement with the lights out.

Last edited:
I agree with BackdoorHippie "Now, I shoot for myself, and whenever someone decides they like my photos then it's a bonus."

Unless you are shooting for a living it does not matter what others think. Shoot for yourself and have a good time.

fotojack

All my family and friends tell me I am a good photographer, but I still feel I'm an amateur. I have put many photos on Flickr but don't get many hits and even less people commenting, so what I need is an honest opinion so that I can grow.
The photos below are pretty indicative of my work, i.e. I mostly do landscape shots, with an occasional family wedding, graduation or other type event.

ISO: 200
35mm
f/9.0
1/20sec
View attachment 39420

View attachment 39421

Thanks in advance!

You ARE a good photographer. These are nice shots. Having said that.....the first one I would call "a little busy". The second needs some "pop" to it.
I would have them printed out to about 11 x 14 and hang them on a wall. Nice job.

Rexer John

All my family and friends tell me I am a good photographer, but I still feel I'm an amateur.

A professional makes money from their craft, i.e. they do it as a job.
An amateur does it for personal enjoyment or for family and friends.

Being an amateur doesn't necessarily mean not as good as a "professional".

I would suggest opening your images in ViewNX2 which you should have.
Turn shadow protection up to between half and three quarters, then adjust the contrast slider to get the image looking good.
Then compare that edit to the original.
Pop!
P.S. works best with raw files.

Your photos are very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

wud

I like both your pictures too. I agree that the second one would be great with a little post processing - but its still a very beautiful picture. I get the feeling that you put a lot of thought into the pictures and they express a great balanced tranquility.

What you say about your family and friends, I understand what you mean, you are thinking maybe they are just being friendly. Everybody needs a stranger to give a thumps up once in a while. I hope you got the feeling of you doing some good stuff now, and I'll look foreward to more pictures from you :)

Moab Man

I like both. For me, I love the swamp photo. Here is my take on your photo: I lightened it up and applied the rule of thirds - water 1/3 of the bottom, trees two thirds of the top. Positioned the water in the lower left thirds intersection focus point as the water goes off into the distance.

On the right hand side there are great roots and bark texture that was hidden in the dark.

Anyway, there are some great photographers on here and if you just hang out around here long enough some their smarts rubs off on you.

Bartram Canoe Trail.jpg

Last edited:

Whiskeyman

mikeh32217,

I saw your post this AM, but couldn't answer it then. If I had, it wouldn't have said anything that hasn't already been brought up in this post.

During my lunch, I took some time and walked around my office, looking for scenic calendars, and I found a few. What I saw was photos that were not much different than yours. One thing almost every one of them had was a strong central subject that captured and held the viewers attention. For the most part, they were very bright, so as not to be "moody". I believe that every single photo in these calendars is manipulated significantly from what was on the sensor in the camera.

Either way, I could envision each of your two shots taking the place of some of the photos on the pages of those calendars. So yeah, you're a good photographer, all right. And likely your harshest critic, as well. Remember that there's no rule that says that you can't go back to the same spot with your critiques and try the shot again.

WM

Last edited:

mikeh32217

I want to thank everyone that took the time to critique my work and I got a lot out of it so thank y'all very much.
What I got was that I have the skills behind the camera but my post-processing needs some work. That seems to be where I have the most problems and that's where I'll concentrate on learning. I use lightroom 4.0 and Photoshop and am getting better with them but have not learned how to use them to there full potential. I am going to be camping and moving all this month but will post some work when I get settled.

Thanks y'all for your honesty and help,
Mike

Michael J.

What is a good photographer - How do you feel about yourself?

I like your photos - But does it matter? Maybe yes but is does not say that you're a good photographer.

You said: All my family and friends tell me.... Ask them if they would like to buy some photos you shot

Once again - beautiful photos but I wouldn't by them coz it is not that spectacular that I say WOW!