Hello from Sunny California

ShootingStar

I've been lurking on the forums for a few months, and now that I bought my new camera, I decided it was time to post an introduction. This weekend I got a D5200. I debated the D5200 vs. D7100 question for a couple of months and finally decided on the D5200 due to lower cost, swiveling display, and probably most importantly because the smaller camera fits my hands better.

My first digital camera was a CoolPix 950, the one with the swiveling body. My second digital camera was a Canon A620, which also has a swiveling display. As I write this, I see that I obviously have a preference for swiveling cameras. :D Up until this past weekend, the Canon was my primary camera along with my iPhone 5 camera, which takes surprisingly good pictures. Prior to the digital cameras, I had a few film cameras, including a 35mm Minolta Maxxum 7i.

Last Fall I took a photography class at a local community college and learned a lot about composition and camera settings. I was really surprised at what I was able to do with my camera during the class (I used the Canon A620 for the class). We did exercises on textures & patterns, depth of field, motion, night shots, and so on. The class was an online class in which we posted our assignments to a message board and critiqued each other's photos. It was fun to see how other photographers interpreted the assignments, so I plan to participate in some of the assignments here on Nikonites.