teleconverter

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Anyone any experience of using a teleconverter? I've got an 18-120 and a 70-300 but I shake when hand holding the big lens.

I'm not familiar with the 18-120mm. Who makes that lens?

Adding a TC when set at the long end will have difficulty in acquiring AF on the subject. You'll be working around f8 already. You are better off using your 70-300mm lens naked.

Fred Kingston

I'm lost.... A teleconverter isn't going to resolve your shaking problem... it increases the focal length, exacerbating your problem...

​The solution you're looking for is a tripod... to hold the camera steady...

FastGlass

You can also try a monopod. I use one when ever shooting sports. Holding a D3S, 1.7 teleconverter and 70-200mm is pretty heavy. By eliminating any one of the three movements, usually the up and down.
( up and down, back and forth, side to side). You can put your efforts in the remaining two.
I have no problems with blurry photos and shoot with the VR off.

Bukitimah

I am using a 1.4 teleconverter on my 70-300 VR. It is not ideal when the lights are low but manageable in good lights. Use a tripod if you have hand shake and in fact for that range, any slight movements will show if you don't ramp up your speed.

Geoffc

I am using a 1.4 teleconverter on my 70-300 VR. It is not ideal when the lights are low but manageable in good lights. Use a tripod if you have hand shake and in fact for that range, any slight movements will show if you don't ramp up your speed.

I thought you risked the rear element hitting the TC with that combo.

Cowleystjames

I was led to understand if it's a Nikon one it won't physically fit due to a lug that'll only mate with certain lenses.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I thought you risked the rear element hitting the TC with that combo.

Geoff - He is probably using a non-Nikon brand TC such as the Kenko 1.4x TC which is what I have. The Kenko allows any F mount lens to work with that TC including 3rd party lenses.